A "new" Whipped Icing?

Decorating By mareg Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 8:13am by JanH

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 15

A bride came to me and asked me about a new whipped icing....like BC but whipped? I have not heard of this. What is she thinking of?? Does any of the CC experts know??
Thanks!

14 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 15

It's not new... it's non-dairy whipped topping like Rich's Bettercreme and other brands. Search for Bettercreme or non-dairy whipped cream to find results.

mareg Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 15

I have heard of that. How does it hold up to heat? I would be traveling with it for about 50 minutes.

CWR41 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareg

I have heard of that. How does it hold up to heat? I would be traveling with it for about 50 minutes.

It doesn't need refrigeration once whipped, and it holds up about the same as BC (breaks down around 85 degrees). Depending on the brand, it can be somewhat rubbery after it air dries... it's noticeable when trying to slice and it sticks to the knife and pulls off the cake, so a hot/wet dipped serving knife would be beneficial to prevent this.

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 15

Where would u search for this?

mareg Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

It doesn't need refrigeration once whipped, and it holds up about the same as BC (breaks down around 85 degrees). Depending on the brand, it can be somewhat rubbery after it air dries... it's noticeable when trying to slice and it sticks to the knife and pulls off the cake, so a hot/wet dipped serving knife would be beneficial to prevent this.

What brand do you use?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 15

She may also be referring to SMBC/IMBC which would be a true buttercream, the bettercreme types taste a lot like cool whip.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 15

If you needed something more heat stable, give Charlotte's whipped cream buttercream a try. I have used it with all butter, all shortening, and a combination using different ratios. Comes out fine every time.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 15

Been using Charlotte's for years. It's wonderful!

CWR41 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 8:56pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

What brand do you use?

I've used several brands... the only names that come to mind right now are by Presto and Rich Products.

elizaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizaBakes Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 9:26pm
post #11 of 15

I'm not sure where you are located but you will find Pastry Pride, Frosters Pride (vanilla flavor), or Bettercreme (also available in chocolate) at Smart&Final or a Costco . It is liquid form that you beet until stiff peaks. it does hold up very well, i have actually done a basket weave using this frosting. I must say it is a bit difficult to get that perfect finished look on the cakes like you do with BC frosting. I would say 50% of my customers perfer this type of frosting.

mareg Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 1:28am
post #12 of 15

Thank you all for your replys! I asked the local cake supply when I was there and she said travel time of 50 min should not be a problem. Just make sure it's whipped very well.
I'm hoping the bride chooses BC!

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 6:21am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Been using Charlotte's for years. It's wonderful!

Would u find the recipe on here or somewhere else?

K1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K1976 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 7:43am
post #14 of 15
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 8:13am
post #15 of 15

Rich's Bettercreme (icing & filling):

http://www.rich.com/product_info.cfm?catid=6159
(Scroll down.)

Available in liquid (comes in qts.) from Gordon Food Service or ready to use (pre-whipped) buckets from Sam's Club bakery dept. (have to ask for it). Also available in qts. online.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%