Sonic The Hedgehog Cake---Carving Experts Needed Asap Please

Decorating By gissellr78 Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 1:49pm by gissellr78

gissellr78 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 7

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=sonic+the+hedgehog+cake&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=0i9&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-USicon_surprised.giffficial&biw=1280&bih=587&tbm=isch&tbnid=i5eBMmK6irDjrM:&imgrefurl=http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1494438&docid=fSL5vHkKTE2w2M&w=726&h=677&ei=G1BBTofKEcXs0gGlr-WxCQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=301&page=3&tbnh=125&tbnw=134&start=33&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:33&tx=57&ty=78

Hi all,

A client emailed me a picture of this cake done by kiddocakes and i need some tips from all you carving experts.

i need to use an 8" cake for the face and a 10" cake for the base to carve the spikes. My questions are should i do a 2 layers for the face? do i need to carve it down so it wont look like a 2 tier cake?

and should i chill the cake filled then carve or fill cake freeze then carve?

please help me!

6 replies
gissellr78 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 7

anyone???

metria Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 7

i suggest chilling/freezing the cake, carving, THEN torting and filling. smooth it over with your icing.

gissellr78 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

i suggest chilling/freezing the cake, carving, THEN torting and filling. smooth it over with your icing.

thanks,

do you think you can tell from the pic if that is a 2 layer cake for the face of sonic. or if it was carved down the sides?

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 7

It's difficult to tell from that angle whether the face is two layers or has just been built up in the molding process. I'd assume it would be easiest, however, to make the face two layers and then round it down to the single-layer spikes.

Also, FWIW, I think it might be easier to fill your cake and then carve it. I'm not very experienced at carving, but it seems like it'd be more precise and it's what they do on the cooking shows (e.g., Food Network Challenge). Good luck!

Edit: Actually, that cake is hosted here on CC, and the photo description has more details on the construction--2 8" round layers and 2 10" squares. Maybe you could just PM kiddocakes to get more info?

metria Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 10:10pm
post #6 of 7

come to think of it, it will depend on your filling. if you're using buttercream as a filling, then sure i think chilled you can carve after filling. but if it's something soft like mousse, fill after carving or it might make a huge mess.

gissellr78 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 1:49pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

come to think of it, it will depend on your filling. if you're using buttercream as a filling, then sure i think chilled you can carve after filling. but if it's something soft like mousse, fill after carving or it might make a huge mess.

that makes total sense..Thank you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%