Royal Icing On Bc?

Decorating By bluedaisies Updated 9 Aug 2011 , 8:41pm by sweettreat101

bluedaisies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedaisies Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 6

I'm new to royal icing, but I read somewhere that you shouldn't put it on a cake iced with butter cream because the moisture of it will dissolve the royal.
But in my cake books, I see a lot of pics of what appear to bc iced caked with royal icing on them also.
Was my initial info incorrect? Does anyone typically put royal on bc iced cake?

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 6

It can be done. Just don't put the cake in the fridge or in an air tight container.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 6

I tried to do a royal icing stencil on a butter cream cake and it didn't work at all the royal icing melted. I do use royal icing for string work and some flowers with no problems but as for stenciling on butter cream I will stick with butter cream frosting.

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 6

I've done royal icing accents that were placed on a BC cake with no problem. The one time I had trouble was when I applied the accents and then refrigerated the cake. If you'll look at the bicycle birthday cake in my photos, you'll see how the RI started bleeding down the side of the cake because of the moisture.

pusskin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pusskin Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

I tried to do a royal icing stencil on a butter cream cake and it didn't work at all the royal icing melted. I do use royal icing for string work and some flowers with no problems but as for stenciling on butter cream I will stick with butter cream frosting.

Just out of curiosity were you using a crusting or non crusting bc?

Yours aye
Puss

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 6

It was a crusting butter cream and I will never try it again. It was my brothers wedding cake and I had to remove all the butter cream and frost the layer again. Royal works great on fondant but in my opinion not on butter cream. Butter cream roses or accents that have been air dried work fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%