Wants Fondant But Thinks Buttercream Is Too Sweet

Decorating By claytonda Updated 9 Aug 2011 , 6:18pm by katj012

claytonda Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 1:40am
post #1 of 8

I was just thrown for a loop. I am making a fondant covered cake for a friend and she just told me that she doesn't like buttercream. She thinks it is way too sweet. She really wants whipped frosting, but I told her that really wasn't possible. What lightly sweetened options are there for crumb coating? Ganache? I am at a loss. Help!

7 replies
instant-gratificaketion Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 2:01am
post #2 of 8

She doesn't like what type of buttercream? American? SMBC or IMBC aren't nearly as sweet as traditional buttercream made with powdered sugar.

claytonda Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 2:16am
post #3 of 8

I am guessing the American buttercream. Stupid question--do the other buttercreams function like the American version? Any special handling?

instant-gratificaketion Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 2:19am
post #4 of 8

There are some differences, but it is a much lighter, silkier and less sweet frosting.

Read for awesome information and a great recipe: http://sweetapolita.com/2011/04/swiss-meringue-buttercream-demystified/

Coral3 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 9:09am
post #5 of 8

Ganache!

...don't forget to price accordingly though - good quality chocolate is not cheap.

jennajane Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 8

I will put a second in for ganache. I recently made a cake and used almost bittersweet chocolate ganache. It was wonderful contrasted against the sweet fondant. Almost everybody ate the fondant!!

katj012 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 8

If she doesn't like American Buttercream (which I get, I feel like it's literally licking the inside of a sugar bag), you can try IMBC or even French Meringue BC - same as IMBC but using egg yolks instead, so it gives it a really rich flavor. Every time I have made the FMBC for people, I have no leftovers - friends and/or family will take my extra container out of the fridge and just eat it with a spoon (which is kind of weird).

katj012 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 6:18pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by katj012

If she doesn't like American Buttercream (which I get, I feel like it's literally licking the inside of a sugar bag), you can try IMBC or even French Meringue BC - same as IMBC but using egg yolks instead, so it gives it a really rich flavor. Every time I have made the FMBC for people, I have no leftovers - friends and/or family will take my extra container out of the fridge and just eat it with a spoon (which is kind of weird).

Sorry - I should've said just French Buttercream - there is no meringue! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%