Layers And Support -- Not Sure How To Proceed

Decorating By augurey Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 12:09am by CWR41

augurey Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 1:14am
post #1 of 9

I know that you're supposed to do support boards/dowels for every 4".

My cakes are typically 2 layers of 2" -- since I trim the tops, it usually comes out to be probably about 5-ish with filling (sometimes 4" with filling -- depending on how well I'm able to get the cake to rise evenly -- baking strips, nails, etc).

My mom asked me to do a cake for this Sunday (that will travel an hour and a half). The cake that was requested has 3 layers to it.

I've only ever torted a cake once; and if I'm doing three layers I'm not so sure if I should do 3 - 2" layers.

What would be the best way to proceed? I'm honestly not sure where I'm going with this as I've only ever done the 2 - 2" layers before.

Any suggestions? Will I absolutely need to use support for this cake regardless? It's not going to be a tiered cake. Oh, and it'll be an 8" round, if that makes a difference.

8 replies
CWR41 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 1:54am
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by augurey

My mom asked me to do a cake for this Sunday (that will travel an hour and a half). The cake that was requested has 3 layers to it.

I've only ever torted a cake once; and if I'm doing three layers I'm not so sure if I should do 3 - 2" layers.

I'd ask your mom if she meant three 2" layers for a total height of 6" tall. It sounds to me like that's what she is requesting, but it wouldn't hurt to verify.

Quote:

Will I absolutely need to use support for this cake regardless?

I would absolutely use a few bamboo skewers (preferrably pushed into the base board/drum, if possible) to help prevent the layers from sliding apart from one another. I doesn't need "support", but it would be helpful to keep it all together otherwise it might not make it to your delivery vehicle or much farther than the end of your driveway.

An alternative would be to torte and use a cake board in the middle at 3" with supports.

augurey Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am going to clarify with her about the layer sizes. That just sounds like a really tall cake, especially if I have luck with getting them to bake tall and even (without need to trim much).

Otherwise I'm thinking maybe tort 1 1/2 to get the three layers. It sounds like it's more a request for 3 layers rather than the want of a 6" tall cake.

I don't think I'd be able to get bamboo skewers anywhere around here; nor do I think I'd be able to get them online in such short time. But I do have some dowels which I'm sure would work fine -- I think I'll do that regardless as my mom will be picking it up (I'm also going to send her with a bit of a skid mat).

cakeandpartygirl Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 9

You could get bamboo skewers at Walmart. They are used for shis-kabobs( sp ? LOL) It sometimes is found in the section that has pots and pans. I have sometimes found them on the end stops and sometimes I found them in the food area. Just ask someone. HTH

Baker_Rose Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 9

She may be thinking of a 4-inch high cake that has three layers. When I make my wedding cakes and my party sheet cakes they are three layers, not two. Each layer is about 1 1/8=inch high and once you add the filling and the top icing it is 4 to 4 1/4-inches high. I either bake them in three pans or I bake one thick layer and torte it, making two layers and then leveling the third, thinner, layer to match.

I know it's probably easier to make two layers, torte them both, and have four layers of cake with three of filling, but it's one of my anal things. I really like the look of a three layer cake cut on a plate.

Tami icon_smile.gif

augurey Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 9

cakeandpartygirl, I will have to check them out! Are bamboo generally better to use than dowels?

Baker_Rose, I ended up clarifying with my mom and she basically just said to do whatever lol I'm undecided on how I'm going to torte, but I'm thinking about doing the three and having them about 1 1/8" as you suggested.

CWR41 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:

Are bamboo generally better to use than dowels?

I'll offer this... bamboo skewers are fine to help prevent the layers from sliding apart from one another, but they absolutely aren't better to use than dowels when support is needed because the skewers aren't strong enough. Dowels would also work to help prevent sliding, but I consider it a bit of overkill since the lesser skewer diameter would do the job.

augurey Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 12:01am
post #8 of 9

CWR41, thanks! I have to pick up some stuff from there tomorrow morning, so I'll definitely check those out.

Are bamboo skewers generally recommended regardless when a cake is traveling (not tiered/doweled)?

I've driven several cakes (hour and a half drive) without issues, but I'm always terrified. I may start doing this for additional safety.

CWR41 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 12:09am
post #9 of 9
Quote:

Are bamboo skewers generally recommended regardless when a cake is traveling (not tiered/doweled)?

For extra tall cakes, yes...
it would be helpful to keep it all together otherwise it might not make it to your delivery vehicle or much farther than the end of your driveway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%