Local Baker Wants To Pay Me To Decorate Her Cake?

Decorating By Piece_acake Updated 9 Aug 2011 , 2:01am by cakesbycathy

Piece_acake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Piece_acake Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 6

A local baker called me today telling me that she has been hired to make a wedding cake and she likes my designs so she would like to bake the cakes herself, but have me decorate them. I've never had a request like this so I'm wondering what you fellow cakers would do/think of it?
She was very nice and complimentary, I'm just not sure I want someone taking credit for my work!
Any suggestions?

5 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 6

You hit the nail on the head. If it's a popular wedding with a beautiful cake, chances are good you could get some biz from it, IF they know you did it. As well, I'd want to be sure I was only credited for what I did. If the cake doesn't taste as good as yours, you would've want to be on the hook for it. By the same token, if it's awesome, she wouldn't want you getting credit. Blah, blah, man can I babble! Long story short, what does your guy tell you? You are the ONLY person who can make this decision. It's certanly flattering.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 6

That would be a no for me. Bad cake, my design, I may take the blame. Everyone loves the design, but then nobody knows I decorated it. And if you say yes the first time, would you always be okay decorating her cakes. I gurantee she is going to take credit for your work. Would you be okay with that? I've awlays felt this was a strange request.

Piece_acake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Piece_acake Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 12:50am
post #4 of 6

Thanks ladies. I am definitely leaning towards no. The decoration is what people pay the big money for icon_smile.gif
She said that a local bakery charges $140 to decorate a 3 tier wedding cake. That just seems too little, especially since she wants gumpaste flowers (roses).

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 12:53am
post #5 of 6

Heck no, I wouldn't do it.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 2:01am
post #6 of 6

NO. no. no. no.

Enough said.

I would never decorate a cake I didn't bake myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%