I Need Help! Coloring Fondant In Silver?

Baking By gypsygraph Updated 8 Aug 2011 , 10:45pm by nana2me

gypsygraph Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 4

My daughters 1st birthday is coming up Sept 21st and I am making her a fondant cake and one of the tiers is covered in a metallic silver fondant

I know luster dust is OK if coloring flowers and what not but what is best to use for a whole tier?

I am so lost and need to figure this out ASAP so I can do a test cake before hand it is also going to be a topsy turvy cake witch I have also never done before icon_surprised.gif HELP!! PLEASE? LOL

3 replies
carmijok Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 4

You can buy silver sprays online. I'm assuming you don't have an airbrush apparatus.

Oh...and beware of the first-time topsy turvy. You can see the results of mine in my photos. (first pic). Just PM me if you want me to tell you what NOT to do! icon_wink.gif

Crazboutcakes Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 4

I am not sure if they sell it in silver but at michaels Duff has cans of spray in his collections. Not sure it will help but it can't hurt to look, hth

nana2me Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 4

I've used the silver luster dust mixed with a little vodka and painted it on that way. The vodka evaporates and the color dries but let it dry in-between coats of silver, that way you can see what it looks like and you don't add to much. I have also bought Duff's cake spray in silver and used that. The only problem is that sometimes it gets clogged so you might have to stick a clean pin in it to unclog it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%