Glittery Cake Request

Decorating By Trance Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 5:28pm by mariacakestoo

Trance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trance Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 7

I have someone who wants a fondant covered cake and wants it to look "Glittery" as they put it. Any suggestions on how I can accomplish this?

Thanks In advance...
Trance

6 replies
DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 7

Brush it with piping gel, then coat it with sanding sugar.

If you want it glittery-er than that, you can use disco dust, but then you'll have to peel off the fondant. Disco dust is not meant to be eaten.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 7

You can eat Disco dust. Maybe not by the hand-fulls, but it's non-toxic and you don't have to use much anyway to get the sparkle. I love the stuff. Very glittery. A little goes a long way I think. I use it all the time on my buttercream cakes. I did a Barbie Princess cake where you can see it better. Also on my jungle sheet cake you can see the elephant's sparkly ears. Doesn't always show up on camera well--at least not in my pictures.

mbyrne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbyrne Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 7

Use Wilton's pearl dust. It works really well, the container is tall and skinny though, so it is a pain with dusting large areas.

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

You can eat Disco dust. Maybe not by the hand-fulls, but it's non-toxic and you don't have to use much anyway to get the sparkle. I love the stuff. Very glittery. A little goes a long way I think. I use it all the time on my buttercream cakes. I did a Barbie Princess cake where you can see it better. Also on my jungle sheet cake you can see the elephant's sparkly ears. Doesn't always show up on camera well--at least not in my pictures.

Me too. It hardly takes any.

flourjuice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourjuice Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 7

Definitely Disco Dust. I keep it in a shaker but put an extra layer of cheese cloth on top so it doesn't come out too fast. It only takes a little!

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrne

Use Wilton's pearl dust. It works really well, the container is tall and skinny though, so it is a pain with dusting large areas.

Get a poofy blush brush from the makeup aisle at any store, and dump a bit into the corner of a small clean bowl. Blot your large brush into it, and you can cover more at once, and use less.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%