Glittery Cake Request

Decorating By Trance Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 5:28pm by mariacakestoo

Trance Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 7

I have someone who wants a fondant covered cake and wants it to look "Glittery" as they put it. Any suggestions on how I can accomplish this?

Thanks In advance...
Trance

6 replies
DSmo Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 7

Brush it with piping gel, then coat it with sanding sugar.

If you want it glittery-er than that, you can use disco dust, but then you'll have to peel off the fondant. Disco dust is not meant to be eaten.

carmijok Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 7

You can eat Disco dust. Maybe not by the hand-fulls, but it's non-toxic and you don't have to use much anyway to get the sparkle. I love the stuff. Very glittery. A little goes a long way I think. I use it all the time on my buttercream cakes. I did a Barbie Princess cake where you can see it better. Also on my jungle sheet cake you can see the elephant's sparkly ears. Doesn't always show up on camera well--at least not in my pictures.

mbyrne Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 7

Use Wilton's pearl dust. It works really well, the container is tall and skinny though, so it is a pain with dusting large areas.

mariacakestoo Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

You can eat Disco dust. Maybe not by the hand-fulls, but it's non-toxic and you don't have to use much anyway to get the sparkle. I love the stuff. Very glittery. A little goes a long way I think. I use it all the time on my buttercream cakes. I did a Barbie Princess cake where you can see it better. Also on my jungle sheet cake you can see the elephant's sparkly ears. Doesn't always show up on camera well--at least not in my pictures.

Me too. It hardly takes any.

flourjuice Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 7

Definitely Disco Dust. I keep it in a shaker but put an extra layer of cheese cloth on top so it doesn't come out too fast. It only takes a little!

mariacakestoo Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrne

Use Wilton's pearl dust. It works really well, the container is tall and skinny though, so it is a pain with dusting large areas.

Get a poofy blush brush from the makeup aisle at any store, and dump a bit into the corner of a small clean bowl. Blot your large brush into it, and you can cover more at once, and use less.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%