Chocolate Cake --> Chocolate & Cherry Cake

Baking By SteveJ Updated 16 Aug 2011 , 7:50pm by jules5000

SteveJ Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 7

I want to create a chocolate and cherry cake. i already have a great chocolate cake that is nice and moist (because i add 200g of melted chcoclate to the mixture!) and just wondered what would happen if i swapped the 200g of melted chocolate for 200 of cherries (or cherry pulp)?

The chocolate obviously firms up when it cools and so the cake isn't all wet and soggy but i dont know what would happen with all the juices from the cherries (as i was planning on blending them in to a pulp)!

Has anyone tried someting like this before...will it turn my cake into a wet mess or will it still hold up and give me a lovely moist cake?

Thanks for any opinions or advice!

6 replies
Marianna46 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 9:01pm
post #2 of 7

I think I would sub out the cherries or cherry pulp for some (but not necessarily all) of the liquid in the cake and leave the melted chocolate in the recipe. That way you'd have the firmness that the chocolate gives you and you'd avoid the runniness that an excess of liquid might give you. If the cherries are very sweet, you might cut down a little bit on the sugar in the recipe, as well. Whatever you decide to do, this sounds quite delicious. Would you mind letting us know how it went when you're done?

SteveJ Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 7

i had a go the other day and basically cut the amount of chocolate in half and took out all of the liquid in the recipe and replaced it with 200g of cherries from a tin, which i blended in to a pulp. i think i would leave some cherries as chunks next time though instead of blending them all!

this seemed to give me a reasonalbe consistency! normally there is 125ml of water in the recipe and i took this out so was left with a mixture that was a little stiffer than usual but cooked just the same!

Infortunately the taste of the cherries didn't come through that much and the cake just wasnt as chocolately as normal! it did have a slightly different taste but i dont think anyone would know that it was cherries! i think i would just leave the chocolate cake as it is in future but perhaps just add chunks of cherry and perhaps use some sort of cherry jam as a filling! that way hopefully there will be a little cherry kick and it won't get lost and overwhelmed in the chocolately mixture!

thanks for the responce and i hope my experience will help!

Marianna46 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 7

Well, you could always use LOTS of cherries instead of the amount you used! And I agree about leaving some as chunks and using cherry jam (mmmm!) as a filling.

jules5000 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 7

I was reading your problem with the cherry flavor not coming out and last evening when I was going through some cooking magazines I hadn't been through in a while I ran into wonderful looking cake. It is called:

Chocolate-Cherry mousse cake.

3 C. All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 C. Dutch-Process Cocoa
4 1/2 t. Baking Soda
Dash of Salt
3 C. Sugar
3 Eggs
1 1/2 C. Vegetable Oil
1 t. Vanilla Extract
1/4 t. Cherry flavoring or almond extract*
3 C. Warm Water

1-12 oz. jar Cherry preserves
1 pkt.(1/4 oz) Unflavored Gelatin
1 C. Heavy Whipping Cream
1T. Honey
1-10-12 oz. can of Cherry filling

13 oz. semisweet chocolate, finely chopped, divided
1 C. Heavy Whipping cream
1 1/4 C. Powdered Sugar
1/4 t. Cherry ext. or almond extract
1/4 C Marachino cherries, well-drained

Heat oven to 350degrees. Grease bottome of 3(9 x 1 ½) round cake pans; line with parchment paper. Grease and flour parchment paper and sides of pans. In large bowl,, whish together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt until blended.

In another large bowl, beat sugar and eggs at medium speed 1 minute. Add oil, vanilla and ¼ t. cherry or almond flavoring; beat until combined. Add flour mixture in 3 parts alternately with water, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat just until combined. Pour evenly into pans.

Bake 35-40 minutes or until toothpicks inserted in centers come out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Invert onto wire racks ; remove parchment paper. Cool completely.

To make mousse, in small saucepan, stir together preserves and gelatin; let stand 3-5 minutes or until set. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is dissolved. Cool to room temperature.

Place 1 c. cream in medium bowl; beat at medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Fold in honey and preserves mixture.

Place one cake layer on serving platter or cardboard round; spread with half of the canned cherry filling(about½ c. ) Spread with generous ¾ C. of the mousse. Top with second cake layer. Spread with remaining cherry filling; Spread with generous ¾ C. of the mousse. Top with remaining cake layer. Place wooden skewer in center of cake to keep layers together. Refrigerate while making frosting.

Bring 1 water to a boil in large saucepan; remove from heat. Place 12 oz. of the chopped chocolate in heat-proof bowl; set bowl over hot water. Let stand until melted. Cool to room temperature.

In another medium bowl, beat 1 c. cream at medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and ¼ t. cherry or almond flavoring; Beat until blended. Fold in remaining mousse and maraschino cherries. Fold in melted chocolate.

Frost top and sides of cake with frosting. Sprinkle top with remaining 1oz. Chopped chocolate. Refrigerate at least 2 hours. Remove wooden skewer before serving. Store in refrigerator.

*tip one teaspoon of cherry brandy can be substituted if desired

I wish ther were a way that you could see a picture of this cake.

SteveJ Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 8:55am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the recipe!

It does seem that keeping the cake chocolately and then creating cherry fillings is the way forward! i havent got any cherry extract and probably wouldn't use any...maybe just add a few cherry chunks! but the filling and frosting sound amazing! never made a moose cake before so i'll be really pleased if this works!

jules5000 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 7

You are welcome!! That is what we are all here for. To help each other and for the most part I see that being done when I am on here. I love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%