How To Avoid A Greasy Pound Cake?

Baking By venart Updated 8 Aug 2011 , 11:50pm by cakestyles

venart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venart Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I've just joined because I wanted to understand why my cake is so greasy. I made it because it was so simple and I had all the ingredients on hand. It did seem like a lot of butter, but I wouldn't know how to go about decreasing it. Is there a way to add low fat yogurt or sour cream and cut the butter?

The recipe:
1 c butter
1 c sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 c cake flour

1. Cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then add vanilla and beat 1 minutes.
2. Add flour and stir to combine.
3. Bake at 325 for 1 hour.

4 replies
jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 5

I don't know what the measurements are in weight for this cake as I use ounces, but I use 4oz sugar and butter, half the amount of eggs as ounces, so 2 in this case but I don't use large ones, then 4oz cake flour and some vanilla extract. it does seem a bit greasy when I first take it out of the oven, but by the next day when i've carved it etc my off cuts seem much less greasy. I think maybe it dries out a little once it settles or something? Sorry I'm actually not much help!

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 5

This is the base to my poundcake recipe and it's not greasy at all. Are you creaming the butter/sugar long enough? It should be light and fluffy.

12oz (3 sticks) butter, softened
24oz (3cups) granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
6 eggs
24 oz (3 cups sifted) cake flour
2 teaspoons vanilla

My grandmother's poundcake recipe literally called for 1lb butter, 1lb sugar, 1lb flour etc., hence the name.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 5

Not enough flour:

The recipe:
1 c butter = 8 oz
1 c sugar = 8 oz
4 large eggs = 8 oz
1 tsp vanilla
2 c cake flour = 6.74 oz

Try using all purpose flour [2 c = 8.4 oz]

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

This is the base to my poundcake recipe and it's not greasy at all. Are you creaming the butter/sugar long enough? It should be light and fluffy.

12oz (3 sticks) butter, softened
24oz (3cups) granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
6 eggs
24 oz (3 cups sifted) cake flour
2 teaspoons vanilla

My grandmother's poundcake recipe literally called for 1lb butter, 1lb sugar, 1lb flour etc., hence the name.

ooops sorry my flour weight should read 12 oz...I have this recipe doubled and I was trying to post the single recipe but forgot to cut the flour weight in half. Sorry.

My cake flour weighs 4 oz per cup

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%