Sitting Bride Topper

Decorating By ClareBear66 Updated 9 Aug 2011 , 5:00am by Marianna46

ClareBear66 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 7

this may seem like a totally ridiculous question, but here goes
I have to make a wedding cake with a sitting bride on one tier and the groom on the other. Obviously I have to make the figures a few days in advance so they dry, but my question is, how do you make the bride in advance but still know what way to shape the skirt so it sits against the cake perfectly
I have tried using a dummy cake similar to that the figure will sit on to mould the skirt, but found that the edging of the actual cake did not match, make the bride sit too far out from the cake & fall over

I mean something like this

Any advice?

6 replies
Marianna46 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 7

You might try turning the tin that you'll be baking the cake in upside down and putting your figure on that. Once it's dried a little, you can set it on something else while you make the cake.

Mandyjb74 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 7

This may be I really stupid comment and as I write it I'm sure it is but I've started so I'll finish lol have you tried turning your cake pan upside down and putting it on that
Sorry if this idea is a stupid as it sounds but it was all I could come up with

Mandyjb74 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 7

Great someone else had the same thought don't feel so stupid now lol

pusskin Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 7

I'm not sure how you are doing your figures but could you do everything except the skirt then let her dry on a dummy or cake pan then add the skirt later so it is still pliable when you put her on the cake.
Otherwise could you experiment to find a pose that gives you a bit of leeway regarding the final dimension of the finished cake.

Hope that makes sense

ClareBear66 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 7

Jeepers ladies - you are all on the ball - I didnt expect such prompt responses - thank you
I might try turning the cake pan upside down & see how that turns out - the cake isnt due until the end of August so I am sure I will have to try out both suggested methods & take it from there

thanks again

Marianna46 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 5:00am
post #7 of 7

Listen, Mandyjb74, you know what they say about great minds! The thing is, with the actual pan you can get the exact curvature of the cake. I was thinking of suggesting something along the lines of pusskin's idea of applying the skirt directly to the cake, but it sounded too complicated when I ran it through my head. Now that I see it on paper, it seems quite good to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%