Water Effect

Decorating By Saxyfella Updated 9 Aug 2011 , 6:38am by Saxyfella

Saxyfella Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 6

As a relative novice to cake decorating I'm looking for a bit of advice on how to create the effect of water on a cake. I've been asked to do a canoe themed cake. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

5 replies
Marianna46 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 6

You can use a light blue buttercream with white RI "foam" on top or you can tint piping gel blue to get the effect of water.

kearniesue Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 6

I use blue BC, then add a little darker blue gel over that. You can also add a little white BC here and there for foam.

Karen

Coral3 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 6

If covering the cake with fondant you can tint fondant a couple shades of blue, mix the two shades together a little - so the colour is still a bit swirly/patchy...cover the water area with that, then paint over it with a thin layer of piping gel to make it look wet. Add a bit of white royal icing for 'foam' in places if needed.

I used piping gel over fondant on this cake: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2020202/2020209

Marianna46 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 4:53am
post #5 of 6

Oh, that is the coolest cake, Coral3! I LOVE the way you did the water in it. I love the way you did a lot of other things, too, but since this thread is about the water, I'll stick to that. Very original - I've never seen a surf quite like it before. Such a good idea!

Saxyfella Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 6:38am
post #6 of 6

Thanks Guys for taking the time out to post. Lots of great ideas there. I can't wait to try them out and, maybe???, I'll post the finished cake.
I also agree with Marianna, Coral thats a great cake and great water effect. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%