Allergy Question.

Baking By howboutbake Updated 25 Aug 2011 , 4:29am by AliBakes6167

howboutbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howboutbake Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 5:59am
post #1 of 5

Hi there!

I just found this site and LOVE it!

Anyway, I've had this conundrum for a while now and i'd like a bunch of great baker's opinions!

I'd really like to start baking cakes on a regular basis, and perhaps one day sell them, but I have a problem. I'm severely allergic to eggs! (I handle eggs with gloves on).

It's funny because I've loved to bake from the time I was 2 or 3 even though I couldn't eat any of it (and was rushed to the hospital once when I licked the beaters behind mom's back icon_smile.gif But I digress.

My question is....is there a way to tell if they are moist enough, tender enough, etc without actually eating them? It's probably not possible to tell if they taste good, hey?

To make things more complicated...the people who could be my 'sampling' group are sort of small in number as I most know a bunch of diabetics, gluten free...watching weight etc people...lol

Thanks for listening to the ramblings of a newbie!

4 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 7:16am
post #2 of 5

if you used mixes as is then you could be assured they would come out correctly. Alternately you could specialize in egg free gluten free cakes. Im sure you know you're not the only person with this allergy and that others would probably want to be able to eat cake also.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 5

Our business specializes in allergy-friendly cakes (I have severe allergies to nuts and eggs). Once you put together a good egg-free recipe, customers won't be able to tell the difference between the egg-free cake and a traditional cake. It's also quite possible to make egg-free and gluten-free cakes that taste good, but in my opinion the difference is somewhat noticeable there.

There are a lot of vegan (egg-free and dairy-free) recipes out there, and there are even books dedicated to vegan baking.

howboutbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howboutbake Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 5

myslady: I must admit I never really though about using cake mixes...to me that just sounds like...not like cheating...but no fun! icon_smile.gif You're right though, for consistency's sake that's probably the way to go.

jason_kraft: I never really thought about allergen free cakes because I've never had one that tasted fantastic. I know there's the old chocolate cake with vinegar recipe but that kind of tastes bland to me and I've never found any others. I'll have to try out some recipes.

As for gluten free..I pity the poor soul that has to have a cake that's egg-free and gluten-free...I think you'd have to be a food scientist to make that work!

It's an interesting idea for sure though...there are a lot of people with allergies...and who better than an allergic baker to serve them. To me that would be giant peace of mind.

AliBakes6167 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AliBakes6167 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 4:29am
post #5 of 5

I've come across a couple of really good vegan/dairy free cupcake recipes - they are always nice and moist! Just google search & you'll find lots of great stuff.........always good to find recipes that others have rated/reviewed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%