How Much Would You Charge For This Cake? Input Appreciated!

Decorating By GarciaGM Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 2:28am by mommynana

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 11

Just did my first wedding cake as a gift for my sister and I'm wondering what price it could fetch if I were charging for it, as I am in the process of getting my home kitchen licensed.

Here's the pic: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2119803 Those are 6-9-12-16 tiers with cookies and cream filling, covered in buttercream and decorated with 41 gumpaste lilies I made. I know how to price based on COGS + overhead + hourly rate, etc., but I'm stumped on the gumpaste flowers. Do you guys normally charge "per creation," an hourly rate, or a per slice price when gumpaste is involved?

I already have a ballpark figure in mind, but I was hoping to do some price checking with you guys. Please share with me how much you would charge for this cake. Thank you!!

10 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 12:57am
post #2 of 11

I charge $3.00 for BC per serving based on the amount of servings this style cakes serves..The flowers are charged separately and you can do it a few ways..Some charge by the flower and some by the hour.Then you add in all the plates and dowels,deliver/setup etc.The topper if any should also be priced separate and added to the cost.Once you add in all 3 of those things it should give you a basic starting point.

GarciaGM Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks Kiddiekakes!! If you charge by the flower, about what price do you charge?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 11

Well that depends on the flower and the intricacy...Some charge anywhere from $2.00-$5.00 each flower and up...some less..

GarciaGM Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks so much Kiddiekakes, I appreciate your guidance.

Does anyone else out there have any input on the total cake price or gumpaste pricing?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 11

For the flowers, I'd tack on an additional price similar to how I would do it for cake pricing.
(http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-694973-pricing.html)

Supplies, plus labor plus some profit. Some flowers are more detailed and take longer to make.

Make a couple of them up and see how many you can do in a set time span, like 15 or 30 mins. Then you can use that to figure out how how long it'd take you to make the amount you need.

As with cakes, the labor is where it will really add up. With the actual gum paste, a little goes a long way.

GarciaGM Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 7:32pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. Of course, this was a gift for my sister, and I had a learning curve with the lilies, but I know pretty well how much time I spent on it, and I know the exact cost of all my ingredients and supplies. After figuring in a $20 hourly rate, I'd have no problem quoting someone $800 for this cake, including the (2 hour!!!) drive time and setup. For what it's worth...

Thanks again!!

mfoxx9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfoxx9 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 7:47pm
post #8 of 11

I was going to say between $700-$800, but I wasn't figuring in a 2-hour delivery. I'm very new to wedding cakes, so I like these kinds of questions. Gives me practice quoting prices. icon_smile.gif

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 11

beautiful ! Cake.

GarciaGM Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 2:01am
post #10 of 11

Thanks Mommynana!

And if there's anyone out there whose jaw hits the floor over my $800 estimate, please let me know. I certainly don't want to overcharge, but that figures to about $4 per serving, which I think is reasonable.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 2:28am
post #11 of 11

Your welcome, I don`t think thats too much for that cake, I made a small cake for my daughter. with calla lilies on it. They were`t half as realistic as yours, And I only bake for family. So they took me a while.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%