Flat Top Cupcakes

Baking By SweetSuzieQ Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 3:07pm by luvmysmoother

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 7

I want to try poured fondant to top my cupcakes for a nice level finish and, I am thinking I would just drop the oven temp down to about 325 for a nice slow even rise but, wondering if anything else is required like a change to the recipe?

6 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 7

Use less batter... There was a thread recently about this. It should have more info. Good luck with your cupcakes!

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 2:18am
post #3 of 7

Bake your cupcakes at 425 for the first five or so minutes and then turn your oven down to 350 for the remainder of time. This seems to work really well for me when I need to get my cupcakes flat. Also, like the previous poster mentioned, using less batter will help too. Good luck!

yummycakes11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummycakes11 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 12:12pm
post #4 of 7

Hi If you make a small well in the centre of the batter just before you cook them, the batter falls inwards when it gets hot and makes the cakes flat. It usually works for me, good luck icon_wink.gif

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighdavies

Bake your cupcakes at 425 for the first five or so minutes and then turn your oven down to 350 for the remainder of time. This seems to work really well for me when I need to get my cupcakes flat. Also, like the previous poster mentioned, using less batter will help too. Good luck!

Actually, what you have described is the way to get the cupcakes to form a dome...I have done this for years with my cake business when I want a high dome...the high temp allows the cupcake to rise tremendously in the middle, sets the sides for structure, and then the lowering of the temp sets the dome in the middle slowly without browning too fast.

When you want a flat cupcake, keep the temperature at an even low temperature...between 325 and 300... takes a little longer to bake, but it works every single time.

"Leigh Davies", you might want to have your oven temp checked...I went through 3 different ovens since March of this year until the oven was calibrated to 'perfection'...the technicians that came here told me that almost 95% of all ovens need to be re-calibrated when they come from the factory. I get my ovens re-calibrated a couple of times a year (it keeps your product consistent). Ovens should be running only 10% high/low when baking, according to several technicians who calibrate my ovens.

Hope that clears up the temperature issue.

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the responses. I'm doing a test batch tomorrow so, will give the low temp and, less fill a try and see how it goes!!

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 7

I find that if I "squish" my batter in each cupcake with a spoon I never ever get domes - the batter needs to stick to the sides of the liner in order to climb/rise evenlyicon_smile.gif Hope this helps - after I tried this I've never had problems with uneven weirdo shaped cuppiesicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%