Baking Denser Cakes?

Baking By heatherhasstyle Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 5:03am by gidgetdoescakes

heatherhasstyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heatherhasstyle Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 8

Hey everyone!

I just have a bit of a baking question. So I am surprised this didn't hit me sooner, but I realize that a few of the problems I've been having with covering my cakes in Fondant lately is that my cakes aren't dense enough to withstand its weight.

I teach a ton of decorating classes, but I use a denser cake. I've been making a lot for friends and family and just working out of a box mix and have had slight buckling happening at the bottom. I think this is due to the fluffier light nature of the cakes.

Is there a simple way to manipulate a box mix to make the cake more dense? Or should I just start using a scratch recipe?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

7 replies
sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 8

If you want to use a box mix go with the WASC recipe it is good for carving, fondant pretty much anything. I personally use Sylvia Weinstocks yellow cake recipe. it is a scratch recipe. I never had any problems with it.

olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 8

When I use box mix I add a box of instant pudding mix in the same flavor and it adds density while still keeping it nice and moist. It works great with fondant and people seem to love it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 8

My *Original* WASC recipe is the perfect answer for you icon_smile.gif

LambrinieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LambrinieCakes Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 5:08am
post #5 of 8

If I'm stacking or carving a cake I put my box mix cake in the freezer overnight. This change the texture of the cake, and makes it better for stacking and carving. And makes the cake taste even better (at least that's what my friends say).

Tammy

gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 5:25am
post #6 of 8

are you supporting the tiers properly, to prevent buckling?

heatherhasstyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heatherhasstyle Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 12:28am
post #7 of 8

Thanks for all the information first of all!

Second, in terms of supporting the cake properly, yes absolutely. I dowel, use boards or sometimes hidden pillars/plates. Matter of fact, the cake that had buckled a bit happened before any stacking. I was majorly bummed out. I cover cakes all the time teaching but they aren't cakes I baked and I realized that they are much denser which is what I'm thinking is the problem. I think it just sunk a little under the weight of the fondant. At least that's my guess. I am open to all suggestions and definitely am going to try a few that have been posted icon_smile.gif

gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 5:03am
post #8 of 8

do you think the fondant needs to be rolled thinner? thats really weird, for that to happen...I don't always use a denser cake and never(knock on wood) have had that happen....could it be too much buttercream in between layers is bulging?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%