Tangled Tower

Decorating By jlcalvert Updated 8 Aug 2011 , 2:38am by luckyblueeye

jlcalvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcalvert Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 4

I am attempting to make the tower from the movie "Tangled" for my daughters 5th birthday. I have looked at several of the cakes on this site and getting as much information as I can.
The plan is to "glue" 2 icec ream cones together with white chocolate and wrap with fondant for the tower part. For the "house" I was going to use RKT wrapped in fondant to decorate and fondant shingles for the roof.
The issue is is that I have never used RKT on a cake before!!!!! Is it simple to mold? Is it light enought to put on the ice cream cones? I plan on using dowel rods for support inside the cones as well as going through the RKT. The tower will sit on a 2" 14x18 sheet cake.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This idea looks great in my head and on paper but not sure if I can pull it off. TIA!!!

3 replies
luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 4

I also did a Tangled cake for my daughter's 5th birthday...which is the cake that got me excited about cakes. I did the ice cream cones for the tower and RKT top, but the RKT is quite heavy. Make sure you don't aim for too large or the cones won't support it. And then adding fondant on it makes it even heavier. It's simple to mold, you can even "shave" a little if it seems lumpy, squeeze it tightly. Definitely use some good support, I used wood dowels. Good luck!

jlcalvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcalvert Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 4

Hi luckyblueeye. Just looked at your cake. That's exactly what I had in mind. How tall is your bottom cake? I was just going to make a single layer (2"). Also, how many dowels did you have going through the bottom cake? How tall is the RKT's on your cake? Thanks

luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 2:38am
post #4 of 4

I had 4 dowels because I wanted to tower to be able to stand on its own...my cake was just a torted and filled 2". It was my 1st ever decorated cake...I think that the smaller layer was double...which probably made my tower around 6-7" tall. Sorry, it's been months and I'm not sure icon_smile.gif . Can't wait to see yours!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%