In Praise Of . . .square

Business By leah_s Updated 29 Aug 2011 , 11:53pm by dldbrou

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 18

So far, I lurve it!

A breeze to set up, free card reader, easy to use, and customers are fascinated by it.

2.75% , no other fees and the $ get deposited as quickly as with any other company.

No swipe fee is higher, but I will never use it without a card present. That's what PayPal is for.

My only complaint it is that reader is so small, i'm afraid I'm going to lose it. Currently carrying it in the change compartment of my wallet.

17 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 18

Glad to hear the review. Thanks!

JoanieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanieB Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 18

I seriously considered this myself, but do you do to be PCI compliant though?

JoanieB Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 18

*what do you do

leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 18

https://help.squareup.com/customer/portal/articles/7764-security-and-data-encryption-

Square is compliant. And currently processing $4 million $ per day.

I'm quite sure they wouldn't have launched a product like this that wasn't compliant with all the rules for everything.

JoanieB Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 18

I was under the understanding that the merchant accepting payments had to be compliant. I wasn't sure what was involved with that.

leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 2:06pm
post #7 of 18

PCI compliance revolves arousd data encryption. I can't even see that stuff. And I don't want to.

JoanieB Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 18

It's any merchant that accepts payments, the companies themselves are already compliant:

"PCI applies to ALL organizations or merchants, regardless of size or number of transactions, that accepts, transmits or stores any cardholder data. Said another way, if any customer of that organization ever pays the merchant directly using a credit card or debit card, then the PCI DSS requirements apply."-pcicompliance.org

"If a member, merchant or service provider does not comply with the security requirements or fails to rectify a security issue, Visa may fine the responsible member. Visa may waive fines in the event of a data compromise if there is no evidence of non-compliance with PCI DSS and Visa rules. To prevent fines a member, merchant, or service provider must maintain full compliance at all times, including at the time of breach as demonstrated during a forensic investigation. Additionally, a member must demonstrate that prior to the compromise the compromised entity had already met the compliance validation requirements, demonstrating full compliance. "-usa.visa.com

There are different levels apparently, I just wasn't sure of the work and cost involved in compliance. I looked in to this extensively when deciding on getting a merchant account. It seemed too complicated so I just stick with paypal right now since I'm homebased.

leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 2:50pm
post #9 of 18

I've been accepting credit cards in my businesses for 15 years. It's pretty much a non-issue. You'd have to be trying to be a scammer to get into trouble. It sounds scarier than it is in reality - if you're an ethical merchant in the first place.

KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 4:02pm
post #10 of 18

OMG that thing is so freaken cool LOL. I have never heard of this before now. It sure would open up a whole world of possibilities.

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 4:30pm
post #11 of 18

I got very excited till I read that it is US only. We Canadians always get the short end of the stick!

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 7:21pm
post #12 of 18

I love my Square. I use it all the time, for both swipes and deposits over the phone icon_smile.gif

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 2:21am
post #13 of 18

Well Leah-- You did not steer us wrong about the SPS--totally love it and on this recomendation, I now have the square as well icon_smile.gif

Love your advice!!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 2:25am
post #14 of 18

I got it too on Leah's recommendation.

simicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simicakes Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 2:52am
post #15 of 18

We got Square in January and have used it hundreds of times with no problem. The cell phone doesn't store any of the information on the card, therefore keeping the cardholder safe. We have recommended them so many times we should get a kick-back! LOL!

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 3:34am
post #16 of 18

For those of you with Square, how to you comply with the PCI compliance requirements, in other words the quarterly scan report and self assessment report? does your provider charge for that scan? It's my understanding that even though the Square is compliment, all merchants who use it must comply with separate PCI requirements even if there is only transmission of data and no storage of that data. Am I correct in that understanding?

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 9:03pm
post #17 of 18

Just ordered mine!!! So excited to be able to accept credit card payments!!!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 11:53pm
post #18 of 18

What do you do if the customer wants a receipt?
I have the square, but have not used it yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%