Question About Gumpaste And Fondant

Decorating By Johnnie53 Updated 7 Aug 2011 , 2:07pm by Marianna46

Johnnie53 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 12:09pm
post #1 of 2

When reading about fondant it says to mix gum paste. What is the reason? I want to try this and am not sure what or how to do it. If you make figures how far ahead can you make them to go on a cake. How do you store them?

1 reply
Marianna46 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 2

Fondant is often too soft to make figures with. Sometimes gumpaste is too stiff or it dries too fast. A 50/50 mixture is just right for some things. Where I live I have to use straight gumpaste or it won't dry hard, because of the humidity. In other words, this is something you'll have to find out by experimenting a little. It depends on the weather and how much heat your hands generate, among other things. To get the mixture, you make up some fondant and make up some gumpaste, and when they're done you just knead them together till they're well mixed. Fondant/gumpaste figures last basically forever, so you can make them as far ahead as you want. They need several days to dry properly, so I would make them at least 3-4 days before you need them. Store them in something that keeps out the light (to avoid fading) and the dust, but not in something that's airtight. A cardboard box would be good. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%