Perfect Crisp Edges

Decorating By Traci9130 Updated 7 Aug 2011 , 4:48am by krumbledkakes

Traci9130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Traci9130 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 1:11am
post #1 of 12

hi. This may sound like a silly question to some of you, but how do you get the crisp lines on the cake? Both my round and square cakes always have rounded edges... So many people on here, their cakes are so clean... My girlfriend asked my to do her wedding cake, and if I decide to, I want it ti look perfect...thanks.

11 replies
molly_36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
molly_36 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 1:17am
post #2 of 12

I'm going to watch this closely for help also. I have yet to do a cake with great edges. I've watched tutorials and I just can't get it! icon_confused.gif

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 1:25am
post #3 of 12

I use Wilton's decorator preferred pans that have perfect 90 degree corners on their square and sheet pans for nice corners. When icing as well I use a decorator comb or spatula up to the corner but stop before starting to smooth the next side of the cake to not have rounded edges.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 1:26am
post #4 of 12

I'm not sure what type pans you are using, but if you can, invest in Magic Line pans. They give super straight crisp edges. They are awesome! Check them out.

http://www.cakesnthings.com/images/products/51-83.jpg

http://resources.shopstyle.com/sim/4a/f0/4af09fd8e63f1e2fa850e318522caaee/sur-la-table-cake-pans-magic-line-round-cake-pan-6-x-3.jpg

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 1:36am
post #5 of 12

Are you talking about buttercream or fondant? I agree the pans make a big difference for either. I love my Magic Line pans.

SweetToothCakesbyCrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetToothCakesbyCrystal Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 2:04am
post #6 of 12

To get really cornered edges, don't lay the large piece of fondant over the entire cake all at once, Instead, I cut each piece of fondant out, (one piece to go around each side of the cake, then another to go on top of the cake) then place it on the cake and trim off the edges with an exacto knife/razor. (Measure the height/width and cut the fondant to the exact measurements.) I hope this makes sense... kind of difficult to explain...

Also, When frosting the cake with buttercream before placing the fondant, be sure that the buttercream also has sharp edges.

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 2:09am
post #7 of 12

Since I don't have those awesome magic line pans yet.. I just cut mine and try to do the best I can... i just cut off all the ends then put it in the freezer

olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 2:28am
post #8 of 12

I rolled my fondant thinner and it cleaned up the lines quite a bit. Thicker fondant seems to weigh the edges of the cake down, rounding the edges. I also make sure my iced cake is completely chilled and stiff before putting the fondant on.

JenTwirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenTwirl Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 3:12am
post #9 of 12

If you are using buttercream, use the upside down icing technique!
http://cakecentral.com/articles/69/upside-down-icing-technique-for-perfectly-smooth-icing

gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 3:24am
post #10 of 12

get dvd by sugarshack....on butter cream....

if I can help message me icon_smile.gif

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 4:26am
post #11 of 12

If you're talking about fondant, watch the videos by
http://www.inspiredbymichelle.com.au. Seach got some step by step videos on YouTube.

krumbledkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krumbledkakes Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 4:48am
post #12 of 12

Sorry if this was already posted, but this is from someone who posts here I believe

Great & in depth video! HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%