What Do Think Of The Wilton Sugar Sheets????

Decorating By mariyka Updated 8 Aug 2011 , 2:27pm by June_m

mariyka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariyka Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 7

I bought 4 colors of the new Wilton Sugar sheets to do a beach ball cake for my grandson but first I decided to practice with them and here's what I found.
The sheets were very difficult to get out.
The red color was a funny hot pink and didn't deepen on standing out.
The texture was like tissue paper and didn't soften on either buttercream or fondant, so when you cut into a piece, the whole section came away.
On the other hand, the taste was fine, slightly sweet, and the other colors as stated on the package and it was easy to cut with scissors or cut out punches.
I ended up buying some dollar store punches with stars and hearts and flowers and they worked great.
I will be using them again but for small decorations on a cake and for this reason I like them because they do add to the finished cake.
Wouldn't you know it, the camera broke couldn't take pic of the beach ball, but it came out nice.
What do think of these sheets and what have you done with them in your decorating?

6 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 7

I'm sorry to say I find them totally tacky, at least on the cakes I've seen from Wilton so far. Your post confirms what I've suspected since I first saw them - that they're hard to work with unless you use them in very small pieces, like punch-outs. As far as I'm concerned, this is just another typical Wilton attempt to get you to spend money. On the other hand, I'm not totally close-minded about this. If I see some decent cake designs using these sheets, I promise I'll stop bad-mouthing them.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 7

Another fad and poorly designed product.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 7

I saw them recently in Michael's when I was in the States but found them too expensive so didn't buy any. Reading these posts I'm happy I didn't.
I'm not sure there is a quick and easy way with fondant bc even if you buy it (I make my own) you still have to work it, kneading, rolling out, measuring, e.t.c.
Seems to me that lately there are all kinds of promises of easy way out with fondant but I don't think it's viable unless you are just making a one off cake in which case it is probably easier and less of a head ache especially if you don't know what you are doing. Just my tuppence worth.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 7

I too found them to be pricey and kinda tacky..Great for the stay at home Mom who wants to make her kids cake once a year but really has no interest in doing more cakes..Now before anyone bashes me I started out as one of those too I am just saying for anyone who owns a business..They are not any easier to work with and certainly not cheaper...In the end like the Cricut I think alot of us went back to the old standard way of making our own MMF and kneading and rolling it out...

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 7

I've seen a few pretty cool cakes by someone on my facebook page (I can't remember her business name) but she did an awesome minnie mouse photo using the ss and fondant. And also one of mario.
its pretty darn pricey ($4 and change) for me for it to only come with one sheet each. I doubt id buy em. Pretty soon someone will come up with a way to make them at home anyway lol.

June_m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
June_m Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 7

I'm in the uk an recently got these from my family who came to visit. They are just the same as edible image sheets that you use for the printer only pre patterned x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%