First Wedding Cake Questions

Decorating By rachelh37122 Updated 6 Aug 2011 , 10:40pm by kakeladi

rachelh37122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachelh37122 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 3

my cousin's getting married the end of august and has asked me to make her cake. she wants a 3-tier round cake that will serve approx. 50 people. should i use 3 inch deep pans or 2 inch? i'll be torting each of the cakes. also, what diameters of cake pan sizes for stacking would you recommend? i was thinking a 12", 8,", and a 6"? also, she wants all BC. i thought i'd make and torte the cakes a few days (less than a week) in advance and wrap them tightly and freeze them until a day or 2 before the wedding to complete the decorations. will this harm my cakes? will have a big effect on the flavor? i've made several cakes in the past but this is my first wedding cake and i want to be sure to have plenty of time to get everything done and it look and taste terrific. any advice will be very appreciated!

2 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelh37122

should i use 3 inch deep pans or 2 inch?
what diameters of cake pan sizes for stacking would you recommend?

Here's the Wilton industry standard wedding chart:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm
An 8" (24 servings), 7" (19 servings), & 6" (12 servings) would yield 55 servings total.

You can freeze your cakes before you need them.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 3

It matters not if you use 2" OR 3" pans. It's a personal likeicon_smile.gif I much prefer 2"ers.
For only 50 servings a 10, 8, 6 would be a bit more than needed.
Your idea of 12, 8,6 is o.k. but much more than you need as the 12" alone serves 56.
The couple can keep the 6" for either taking on their honymoon OR 1st anniversary.
The 8"er could be cut into 4 to 6 big hunks and given to the family members. It also could be served the next day if they are going to open their gifts then. Many brides are doing that - having a family party to open gifts the next day.

..........thought i'd make and torte the cakes a few days (less than a week) in advance and wrap them tightly and freeze them........

Great ideaicon_smile.gif Only let me caution you not to wrap them *tightly* - don't want to warp them out of shape icon_smile.gif What you should do is put them in the fzr on a cookie sheet for an hour or two, then wrap them in plastic wrap and pop it into a plastic bag. When ready to use take from fzr to frig overnight, remove from frig, remove from plastic bag and let come to room temp before working on them. That should only take about an hour.

..........will this harm my cakes? will have a big effect on the flavor?...........

the only effect it will have is to make the cake *moister* icon_smile.gif Just be sure to not overbake them. That's what robs cakes of flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%