Chocolate Biscuit Wedding Cake

Decorating By Sugarcupcake Updated 28 May 2013 , 5:43pm by matthew kavanag

Sugarcupcake Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 19

Hi

I am new to this forum but I hope that someone may be able to answer my question. I have to make a wedding cake for August 22nd and the order is for a chocolate biscuit wedding cake covered butter icing and then in fondant. I was just wondering how long in advance I could make this cake I normally make madeira cake so this is new to me. Any help would be appreicated. Thanks

Mary icon_smile.gif

18 replies
Valkstar Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 19

I normally make my chocolate biscuit cakes 5 - 7 days in advance. I buttercream it 2 days before the event and fondant a day before.

Are you in the UK? Do you have a nice recipe?

Hope this helps.

Sugarcupcake Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 19

Thanks for your reply it was a great help. I have a nice recipe for the chocolate biscuit cake. I did a two tier for a birthday party which is on tonight but it was just convered in ganache. The recipe I have is simple just have to adjust it according to the size I want. I am actually from Dublin Ireland.

Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

Valkstar Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 19

Nice to see a fellow Dub on here! Best of luck with the cake icon_biggrin.gif

Cake4ever Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 11:25am
post #5 of 19

Would this happen to be similar recipe to Prince William's chocolate McVities cake?

Can you share the recipe? thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 19

I'd love a recipe also. i've seen and bookmarked a few, but is there one that's THE choc biscuit cake?

Sugarcupcake Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 19

The recipe I use is not the same one used in Prince William's cake. I have posted my recipe in the recipe section under "Chocolate Cakes". Hope you like it! icon_smile.gif

Cake4ever Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 8:33am
post #8 of 19

Thank you kindly for sharing your recipe. icon_biggrin.gif

jillyscakes Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 10:28am
post #9 of 19

This is the link for the recipe used at the royal wedding http://scrumpdillyicious.blogspot.com/2011/04/royal-wedding-williams-chocolate.html

Valkstar Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 2:55pm
post #10 of 19

This is the recipe I use, and it's soooo popular! I get compliments about it all the time.

275g / 10oz Butter
150ml / 1/4 pt Golden Syrup
225g / 8oz Good Quality Chocolate
1/2 x 400g Packet of Digestive Biscuits (roughly crushed)*
1/2 x 400g Packet of Rich Tea Biscuits (roughly crushed)*
125g/4oz Nuts (walnuts, brazils, almonds) optional
125g / 4ozFruit (sultanas, apricots, cherries) optional
1 Packet of Maltesers

Method:

Line a 15cms/6" round cake tin or a 2lb loaf tin with a double layer of greaseproof paper.
Melt the butter, syrup and chocolate in a pan over a low heat. Stir to make sure all the ingredients are well mixed together.
Add the biscuits, maltesers and fruit and nuts, if used. Stir well.
Transfer to prepared tin. Level it on top and press down well to avoid "air gaps". Allow to get cold and hard. Wrap completely in greaseproof paper and store in a fridge.

*Rich Tea biscuits are available on www.amazon.com, or you could substitute Animal Crackers or Arrowroot biscuits.
*Digestive biscuits can be substituted using Graham Crackers.

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 3:13pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkstar

This is the recipe I use, and it's soooo popular! I get compliments about it all the time.

275g / 10oz Butter
150ml / 1/4 pt Golden Syrup
225g / 8oz Good Quality Chocolate
1/2 x 400g Packet of Digestive Biscuits (roughly crushed)*
1/2 x 400g Packet of Rich Tea Biscuits (roughly crushed)*
125g/4oz Nuts (walnuts, brazils, almonds) optional
125g / 4ozFruit (sultanas, apricots, cherries) optional
1 Packet of Maltesers

Method:

Line a 15cms/6" round cake tin or a 2lb loaf tin with a double layer of greaseproof paper.
Melt the butter, syrup and chocolate in a pan over a low heat. Stir to make sure all the ingredients are well mixed together.
Add the biscuits, maltesers and fruit and nuts, if used. Stir well.
Transfer to prepared tin. Level it on top and press down well to avoid "air gaps". Allow to get cold and hard. Wrap completely in greaseproof paper and store in a fridge.

*Rich Tea biscuits are available on www.amazon.com, or you could substitute Animal Crackers or Arrowroot biscuits.
*Digestive biscuits can be substituted using Graham Crackers.

I'm in the USA and I've never heard of Maltesers. What are they?

Dreamster Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 3:15pm
post #13 of 19

I love working with choc biscuit cake as it is so versatile. You can make it in advance and get much cleaner corners.

I add mnin marsh mallows to mine also.

jillyscakes Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 3:31pm
post #14 of 19

bobwonderbuns I think the US similar are Whoppers by Hershey chocolate coated malted milk balls or Mighty Malts by Necco icon_smile.gif

Valkstar Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 5:39pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyscakes

bobwonderbuns I think the US similar are Whoppers by Hershey chocolate coated malted milk balls or Mighty Malts by Necco icon_smile.gif

That's them! I also put marshmallows in while melting the choc so they melt down. Some people put in Crunchie bars (honeycomb) etc. It's really versatile.

Sugarcupcake Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 9:28pm
post #16 of 19

When icing a chocolate biscuit cake before covering with fondant do you use white chocolate butter icing or milk chocolate butter icing? Just curuous as to what people think works best.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

All4Show Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 9:47pm
post #17 of 19

What is "Golden Syrup"? Is it the same as corn syrup?

matthew kavanag Posted 28 May 2013 , 5:33pm
post #18 of 19

it was good reading your comments. im new to all of this> cake making and the forums and looking for some nice cake recipes you would recommend. or if you could recommend places to get some!! thanks for your help.

matthew kavanag Posted 28 May 2013 , 5:43pm
post #19 of 19

hi im just starting out with the whole cake making and decorating and just wondering would you share some recipes and pointers?

thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%