Baby Shower Postponed What Do I Do???

Decorating By msdjmyers Updated 6 Aug 2011 , 8:32pm by tokazodo

msdjmyers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msdjmyers Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 9

First time posting, I hope this is in the right area.
I am making a cake for a baby shower. The mom went into labor last night and is having the baby today. The shower was suppose to be tomorrow. So I have a 2 tired cake that is still separated. It is iced in buttercream. It is not decorated yet. I was planning on putting MMF decorations right before. Any suggestions on what to do with the cake? For the last shower, I put the cake in the freezer to help set the frosting because the temperatures here are 115 and the a/c is having a hard time keeping up. The buttercream sweated and it was very difficult to get all the water off. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. I also don't know when the shower will be rescheduled.
Thanks,
Deanna

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 9

Just as it is, Put it in the fzr for 30 min or so; pull it out and wrap it well in plastic wrap, then into a plastic bag. It will freeze just fine for up to 6 months. When you are ready to use it take from fzr to frig ovenight, then to room temp; unwrap and leave alone - DO NOT TOUCH - until the sweating has evaporated. How long that will take will depend on how hot & humid the home is - just don't be tempted to touch it at all icon_smile.gif From there it is just like it's never been fzn - decorate as usual.

patjobes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patjobes Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 9

i would put the cake in a box then wrap in a few layers of saran wrap then freeze, when thawing take out of freezer but leave cake in box in saran wrap overnight untill defrosted then unwrap and take out of box i think it should be ok aslong as you keep it wrapped untill defrosted. good luck

msdjmyers Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you! Will the buttercream crust back after the sweating?

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdjmyers

Thank you! Will the buttercream crust back after the sweating?

Yes! It does!! Just do not touch it while it sweats! If I have to freeze a cake, I bring it out the night before I need it, and have it come to room temp over night. When I wake up in the morning, its ready to decorate!

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 9

I had this same thing happen to me in January, the mom had the baby the night before the shower was scheduled.

In my case though the cake was already completed by the time they let me know this the morning of the shower, so I still delivered the cake and it was up to them to freeze it until they needed it.

(All of my orders are paid in full ahead of time so when they called to tell me the shower was being postponed, I explained to them that their cake was finished since it was 2 hrs before delivery)

They didn't have a problem freezing the cakes (I separated the tiers for them) and they served them 3 weeks later.

I would explain to your client that their cake is already baked and iced and if they'd like to freeze it they're welcome to do that, but they still need to either pick it up or tell you where to deliver it.

I wouldn't freeze it in your own freezer because #1 it takes up space that you may need and #2 when they do need the cake they'll expect a fresh baked cake. You shouldn't have to "eat" the cost of this cake because nature called. lol

msdjmyers Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 9

Well this is not an order cake. I did this as a gift to the mom for her shower. So I'm freezing it in my freezer, but I really like your policy for orders. Thanks for the great info. I have not done a paying cake yet, but I'm ready to get there. I'm hoping some of the baby shower cakes will turn into a paying birthday later on.

patjobes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patjobes Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 8:10pm
post #8 of 9

yes your buttercream will go back to crusting after defrosting, just make sure you dont touch it untill it reaches room temp it will be fine

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 8:32pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by patjobes

yes your buttercream will go back to crusting after defrosting, just make sure you dont touch it untill it reaches room temp it will be fine

And it feels like it takes forever, icon_sad.gif
and ever, icon_cool.gif
And ever, icon_confused.gif
And ever, icon_cry.gif

It's kind of like watching grass grow, especially if you are impatient and live in a very humid climate near the ocean!

Good Luck with all that! icon_wink.gif

jk, just being a wise guy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%