Good Lemon Cake Recipe

Baking By mo63 Updated 6 Aug 2011 , 6:55pm by mo63

mo63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo63 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 6:37am
post #1 of 9

Can anybody help me with a good recipe for a lemon cake?

I want to make a 10inch round cake with lemon curd and buttercream filling. It will have a 6inch cake stacked on top. (No idea what flavour this will be yet but all ideas gratefully received).

I am going to be adding fondant figures so it will need to be quite a good firm recipe. Also can I ask what do I need to add to my fondant paste to make it a bit more firm? I have been using CMC but it doesnt seem to be making much difference. My sitting figure has got a flat bottom while being left to dry icon_lol.gif

Thanks for your help thumbs_up.gif

8 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 8:36am
post #2 of 9

Hi, there are two recipes that I use. One is Mich Turner,s Lemon cake and the other one is HD recipe from the BSG forum (Brish Sugar * Craft Guild). Both are lovely and I use Lemon curd bc as the filling. And both are good for stacking. icon_smile.gif

I don't add anything for the sugar paste. I use Cova paste and it is really lovely and easy to use. What paste do you use?

mo63 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 9

I use Regal ice mostly but I have recently been using Silver Spoon. It really is impossible sometimes icon_cry.gif It is so soft. Not bad for just covering a cake but, no no, not so good for modelling. I also use Dr Oetker.

I have never heard of Cova icon_confused.gif

Thank you for your suggestions regarding the lemon cake. I'l have a look at that. thumbs_up.gif

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 9

I like a lemon cake that is from scratch but taste like a Lemon Cake mix.. one that has an intense lemon flavor , not just a hint and pale in color. I have tried a few, but was not happy with them. I have also tried Orange/Lemon Curd as filling and I liked it.

brown_suga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brown_suga Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 9

Toba Garret has the best lemon cake I've ever tasted (so far) hands down! It's in her book the well decorated cake as lemon coconut cake. It is delicious as printed but when I need a lemon cake I use it and omit the coconut ingredients. Bakes perfectly every time. This cake is THEBOMB.com! icon_smile.gif the fresh lemon juice and zest along with actual lemon curd in the batter gives it great lemon flavor. Its so good just speaking about it makes my mouth water. I think I'll go make some right now. Off to the kitchen I go. icon_smile.gif

mo63 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_suga

Toba Garret has the best lemon cake I've ever tasted (so far) hands down! It's in her book the well decorated cake as lemon coconut cake. It is delicious as printed but when I need a lemon cake I use it and omit the coconut ingredients. Bakes perfectly every time. This cake is THEBOMB.com! icon_smile.gif the fresh lemon juice and zest along with actual lemon curd in the batter gives it great lemon flavor. Its so good just speaking about it makes my mouth water. I think I'll go make some right now. Off to the kitchen I go. icon_smile.gif

Any chance of the recipe? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Sounds great

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 9

You can adapt a normal sponge recipe to a lemon one by adding the zest of one lemon for every 4oz of flour. Add lemon curd to the bc (keep adding until it tastes right) to keep it really lemony.

As for your models, try using 50/50 mix of sugarpaste and flowerpaste. That should make them firm enough depending on what you're making. If it's something that needs extra strength use all flowerpaste or use toothpicks/wire frameworks for support.

icon_smile.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 9

mo63, Cova paste is cheaper than Regalice. But they have only White and Ivory colour. If you want ready coloured paste, buy M & B of london. They gorgeous colours and save the time colouring the white paste! icon_biggrin.gif

I also make fondant accents with sugarpaste & CMC/Tylose or 50/50 sugarpaste and flowerpaste. But if I'm making a shoe, then I use flower paste. icon_smile.gif

Mich Turner's Lemon cake, she use lemon syrup to drizzle over the hot cake. That gives the lovely lemon taste. The other cake, once I have torte the cake, I brush lemon syrup on each layer, before I fill it with lemon curd bc. icon_smile.gif

mo63 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 6:55pm
post #9 of 9

I normally use one of Carol Deacons recipes for a madeira cake and it always tastes really nice. Could I just add lemon zest to that and replace the milk with lemon juice?

I will try adding some flowerpaste. That is something that i've not used yet. Maybe the sugarpaste that im using is not that good. There are so many different ones on the market that a lot of things are trial and error.

I bought one of Aine2 tutoriols on head making and oh my god my models look like frankensteins monsters!! It so funny, or maybe not. My finished cake is going to be a joy to see haha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%