Cricut-Scal 101 - I Need Some Guidance

Decorating By KerrieD Updated 7 Aug 2011 , 1:02am by KTB4

KerrieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KerrieD Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:15am
post #1 of 10

I know nothing about the Cricut or any other similar type of program other than it cuts shapes. Do they cut fondant/gumpaste? Special programs?
For instance, I needed a Gucci logo so I got one off the internet and cut it out from gumpaste. It was a pain - jaggy edges. Would "the program" do this?
Please...I need all the help I can get!!!!!!
TIA

9 replies
MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:32am
post #2 of 10

Provocraft sued MTC, so it can no longer be used with the Cricut. SCAL was next in line. Not sure if it has been settled. So if you were to buy it now you probably would not be able to use it with the cricut. People who already have the above can use it as long as they don't update anything. Apparently the Silhouette is the cutting machine to buy. I'll have to make due with my cricut until I can spend some more $$$. It is a shame Cricut has taken the creativity our of cake design and forcing you to use there cartiridges, cookie cutter cake decorating.

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 2:11am
post #3 of 10

What if I haven't updated my Cricut? I bought one last summer and it's been in a box until pretty much now. Would I be able to use MTC or SCAL do you think?

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 2:22am
post #4 of 10

If you can get an old copy of them. If I remember correctly I had to do an update when I got my SCAL so it would work on my cricut... so since they have changed it probably won't update correctly now. I love mine SCAL though... it would cut those logos nicely. I just used it to cut out flames for a cake using a pattern from the internet and a few weeks ago to do little karate figures for cupcakes. Maybe someone else has a better idea

MadMillie Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 2:23am
post #5 of 10

As long as you purchased the MTC before this past March. Not sure if the SCAL littigation has even happened. I bought MTC a while back and bought the disc with it. I haven't checked to see if you can unistall updates. On a lot of programs you can go to the remove/add area and unistall specific updates to programs. I'm sure they have protected themselves from users doing this.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 2:24am
post #6 of 10

the latest SCAL is version 3.0, and it doesn't work with the cricut. i'm not sure how you can obtain a previous version.

MadMillie Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 2:30am
post #7 of 10

You may want to go into the control panel of your computer, and go to the programs, unistall. See if you can unistall the update that keeps it from working with the Cricut. It would be anything after March. I would almost bet that when you update it reinstalls a completely new version.

KTB4 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 10

Hmm no I didn't buy MTC or SCAL when I got my Cricut since I thought I'd figure it out first (wrong icon_razz.gif )

I do have a friend with an old version of MTC, if she has the disk do you think I could install it maybe?

MadMillie Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 3:23pm
post #9 of 10

You should be able to install it as long as she purchased the back up disc with hers.

KTB4 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 1:02am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMillie

You should be able to install it as long as she purchased the back up disc with hers.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%