Best Red Velvet Recipe??

Baking By StormyHaze Updated 20 Aug 2011 , 12:18am by instant-gratificaketion

StormyHaze Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 18

Hello all! I have to say, I have somewhat of a bad taste in my mouth for making red velvet. I have tried so many recipes, and have wasted so many supplies. I hope that someone here can help remove this disdain?

Any tips, recipes that you have total confidence in?
icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

17 replies
instant-gratificaketion Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 18

What do you not like about the recipes you have tried?

StormyHaze Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 18

A lot of them were way too oily, or too dry, or barely any chocolate taste, or even not enough rise.

I wish i had kept the ones Ive tried so i could note what was bad about each. I will do that this time, provided i can get some more recipes. The only one left in my kitchen was "allisons amazing red velvet cupcakes" from therepressedpastrychef.blogspot.com

sunnyca Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 18

I've had pretty good results with this one from Martha Stewart. Quite a few people whom I've made it for also liked it a lot. I don't know how it will compare in terms of oilyness/chocolateness (if that's even a word!) to the other ones you tried and didn't like.

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/recipe/red-velvet-cake

sappy42 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 18

Chef Stef's Southern Red Velvet Cake, here on CC. It's RV perfection as far as I'm concerned but if you like more chocolate flavor you can add more than the 1 tsp cocoa powder it calls for.

Good luck!

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 18

In the gourmet flavors thread, the one by MacsMom is a HUGE hit whenever I make it. You'll find it in my signature.

instant-gratificaketion Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 18

I also recommend Chef Stef's, but I add a heaping teaspoon extra of cocoa powder and only 1 Tbsp of Wilton's No-Taste Red. In my experience, adding the extra cocoa not only makes the flavor better, but also makes you need less food coloring.

AnnieCahill Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 12:47am
post #9 of 18

The thing about red velvet is that it's not supposed to taste exactly like chocolate.

I made the MS recipe last week and it was good. You may like that recipe better because it calls for Dutch process cocoa powder which has a more chocolatey taste.

sappy42 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 12:44pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

The thing about red velvet is that it's not supposed to taste exactly like chocolate.

This is why I prefer Chef Stef's version. The 1 tsp is perfect and gives it just a hint of chocolate flavor. Any more and it's just a tangy chocolate cake to me. But everyone has different tastes.

CakesByLJ Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 4:59pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:

dawncr.. thanks for sharing that link; interesting results indeed. I couldn't help but notice that the winner seems to be the most popular by far.. thumbs_up.gif

Price Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 7:01pm
post #12 of 18

Intresting thread. I too had good results with Martha Stewart's Red Velvet recipe. I got nice comments when I made it. To tell the truth I avoid making Red Velvet cake. It has never been one of my favorites. I don't understand why people like it so much.

StormyHaze Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 5:37am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price

Intresting thread. I too had good results with Martha Stewart's Red Velvet recipe. I got nice comments when I made it. To tell the truth I avoid making Red Velvet cake. It has never been one of my favorites. I don't understand why people like it so much.

I always avoided it because the cake just seemed so.. finicky.

So far the winner is Cake man Raven! though, Ill be honest I did add a smidgen more chocolate. And I think i will take out a little it of the oil next time.

Lesson learned: REAL buttermilk makes ALL the difference. The powdered stuff doesnt hold a candle to it anymore, for me. icon_biggrin.gif

Normita Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 4:29am
post #14 of 18

Not to hijack the thread but I too use Martha Stewarts red velvet and get rave reviews...however I do have a problem when I bake it in square pan. Every time I bake in a square pan the edges get all crusty and hard!! I dont know what to do...I bake at 325 use both flower nails and bake even strips....It seriously frustrates me!! But when I use doctored cake mixes they bake up fine in a square pan...its only the red velvet square cake.

Any suggestions?

AliBakes6167 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 5:17am
post #15 of 18

This is my go to recipe, it's amazing and chocolatey & not oily icon_smile.gif http://allrecipes.com/recipe/red-velvet-cupcakes-3/detail.aspx

bellaloco Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 6:27am
post #16 of 18

This is the one I always use...frosting and all, I also add 2 TBS of cocoa powder...
http://www.underthehighchair.com/2008/09/shf-baby-girl-cupcakes-and-giveaway.html

It may not be "authentic" but I love it, and so does everyone I've made it for.

Price Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 1:23pm
post #17 of 18

Sorry Normita, I can't remember ever baking it in a square pan so I'm not sure why your cake is doing that.

instant-gratificaketion Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 12:18am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Not to hijack the thread but I too use Martha Stewarts red velvet and get rave reviews...however I do have a problem when I bake it in square pan. Every time I bake in a square pan the edges get all crusty and hard!! I dont know what to do...I bake at 325 use both flower nails and bake even strips....It seriously frustrates me!! But when I use doctored cake mixes they bake up fine in a square pan...its only the red velvet square cake.

Any suggestions?

Do you use bake-even strips on the pan? I find that I haven't had this no matter the pan shape/recipe by using the "homemade bake strips", AKA, dampened towel strips. Maybe try that. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%