Getting A Rich Dark Brown Color With Fondant.

Decorating By AbcKids Updated 7 Aug 2011 , 4:26am by AbcKids

AbcKids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbcKids Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 7

I'm still new to baking and decorating cakes and haven't been able to get dark brown fondant or icing. I used the wilton brown and wasnt able to get it dark enough, should I mix it with another color?

6 replies
instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 7

I gave up and just bought chocolate fondant. icon_smile.gif

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 7

I can never get a rich brown, so I buy it.

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 7

I haven't done this yet (but actually will be trying this weekend) supposedly if you make MMF out of the multi colored mini marshmallows it makes a nice flesh color..you might be able to get a brown out of that with gel coloring added. I'm going for a lighter brown, so not sure how dark it will make it, but you could try that.

Beckydb5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckydb5 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 7

To get a dark brown color, just use both red and black. I keep adding both colors to the fondant and kneading it until I get the desired shade. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

kmstreepey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmstreepey Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 7

Use cocoa powder or some melted chocolate. If you are making it, sub some cocoa powder for some of the powdered sugar. It makes a beautiful dark brown color (if it's lighter than you want it, you can add a little of the brown gel color later) and it tastes really good. If the fondant is already made, melt some chocolate or candy melts (just a tablespoon or so) and knead that in with some powdered sugar. It helps get the color darker when used along with the gel colors and it doesn't mess with the texture as much as when you use only the gel colors. I hope this helps!

AbcKids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbcKids Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 4:26am
post #7 of 7

thank you all for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%