Groom's Cake Dissapointment (Vent..long)

Lounge By Gingoodies Updated 8 Aug 2011 , 7:36pm by debbief

Gingoodies Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 5

My nephew was married two weeks ago. I have made cakes for him all his life (he is 33). In the beginning, he wanted me to make their wedding cake. This did not happen, and I am eternally grateful not to have had that stress.

I did however, make his groom's cake. It was fun, whimsical and I believe, just what he wanted.

It took some time to get the components together, bake, decorate and transport the cake to the venue. I was so happy to be doing this and did not mind the effort that went into making this happen.

Here is the disappointing part.... The day of the wedding, I approached the manager of the venue to ask about putting the finishing touches on the cake and putting it out for display. I was informed that the cake would not be going out at the actual reception, but at the "after party" and he would come and find me at about 11pm to finish up the cake. REALLY???

I am just so upset that some of my family and many other guests, who did not attend the after party, did not get to see the cake, and worst of all... IT WAS NEVER CUT OR EATEN!! The entire cake wound up going home with the MOB. (the reception was in the bride's home town).

I don't regret making the cake, just needed to get this off my chest. Thanks.

4 replies
Elcee Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 12:34am
post #2 of 5

Ooohhhh...how awful! I haven't been to very many weddings where there was a groom's cake but I always thought they were displayed alongside the wedding cake. I forgot to look, did you post a picture so we can see it? icon_smile.gif

Gingoodies Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 5

Elcee, it is the newest cake posted in my photos. Beach theme with figures on top. I too thought the cake would be displayed at some point during the wedding. I know the theme of the groom's cake was more "whimsical", but I thought they would at least put it out before the darn reception was really over. The only people at the after party was immediate family and the young ones who wanted more dancing and drinking. LOL

Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 5

That's too bad that all your efforts were not even seen...Hopefully once the cake is taken back and eaten..then everyone will realize how great it is...

debbief Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 5

I also just did a groom's cake for my nephew. It was displayed on a table next to the wedding cake. I put a lot of work into it and I can imagine how sad I would be if it hadn't of been displayed.

I really don't think most people realize how much effort we put into our cakes. I'm really sorry you went through all that work for nothing. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%