Need To Vent!!!!!!!purse Cake Ruined By Stepdad

Decorating By CakeDesigns Updated 9 Aug 2011 , 12:46am by vtcake

CakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDesigns Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 10

Hi,
I need to tell someone who can understand how I'm feeling right now. My husband and I went to bed at 2 a.m. making this chanel purse cake to deliver the next day after work. Since the delivery was going to take place in my mom's city and she watches my kids while I work, I took the cake to my mom's house....great planning...I didn't have to travel an hour to deliver the cake...kill 2 birds with one stone....everything was great until my mom's husband thought it was a real cake and tried to pick it up. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? I'M FUMING! Now I have to go back home to redecorate this cake and go back to deliver it.

9 replies
doofusmongerbeep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doofusmongerbeep Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 10

I can completely understand how frustrating this must be. Not only do you have to drive over there and back again, but you have to fix your cake which is always stressful.

At the same time, take it as a compliment that your cake was so awesome and realistic looking that you fooled him into thinking it was a real purse! With a purse cake, realism is usually the look decorators are going for!

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 10

Sorry that happened to you. Your step dad probably feels terrible.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 10

did u mean he thought it was a real Purse ? instead of a real cake ? this is real cake isn't it ? if I misunderstood , I'm sorry..

anyway, sounds like this guy has no common sense.. sorry this happened to you.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 10

I always package cakes up so that no one/nothing can touch them and label them with warnings like "Do not touch under penalty of death!" Even when my kids know not to touch a cake, they don't always think that they need to be very careful even being near the cake - you never know when they might knock a glass of milk over NEXT TO the cake (ruining the cake board), etc. I would never leave a cake anywhere without warning everyone in the home not to go near it - in fact, I've even gone so far as to suggest that they should avoid BREATHING next to it if they could avoid it. LOL!

I may invest in some safety cones and caution tape next because I am THAT paranoid.

Hopefully the cake is an easy fix. icon_smile.gif

CakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDesigns Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

At the same time, take it as a compliment that your cake was so awesome and realistic looking that you fooled him into thinking it was a real purse! With a purse cake, realism is usually the look decorators are going for!

That's what my son said, "you should be proud that he thought it was a real purse".

Quote:
Quote:

I always package cakes up so that no one/nothing can touch them and label them with warnings like "Do not touch under penalty of death!" Even when my kids know not to touch a cake, they don't always think that they need to be very careful even being near the cake - you never know when they might knock a glass of milk over NEXT TO the cake (ruining the cake board), etc. I would never leave a cake anywhere without warning everyone in the home not to go near it - in fact, I've even gone so far as to suggest that they should avoid BREATHING next to it if they could avoid it. LOL!

I may invest in some safety cones and caution tape next because I am THAT paranoid.

I'm glad I'm not the only paranoid one...I don't like people to breathe over the cakes either or touch them when making them. When I watch cake shows on TV I wonder how would someone eat a cake after everyone have been talking all over the cake and touching it icon_surprised.gif

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a box big enough if not I would have put it in one. The funny thing is that my mother warned him not to touch the cake and he still touched it. Now that I'm calmed I can understand him. Not too long ago I made a bible to go on top of a cake for our pastor. I had the fondant Bible on the counter while decorating the other parts of the cake. That "Bible" fooled me...a couple of times I looked at where it was and almost move it. I thought what is a Bible doing on the counter?

Anyways, thank you so much for understanding my frustration. After all, I got a $20 tip and a very happy customer and a birthday girl.

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 10

What a huge bummer! I know you're really frustrated, but it's definitely a compliment he thought it was real. (hugs)

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 10

Inspite of the "compliment" of realness, yup, I would be a little more then p.o.. And not at him per say, just at the situtaion in general.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 10:15pm
post #9 of 10

Aggravating for sure...but at least you can fix it. PIA that it is. How frustrating for you! icon_sad.gif

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 12:46am
post #10 of 10

congrats on making a realistic chanel purse. however, if you're selling it, that's a big no-no.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%