Unhappy Customer-My Boss!

Decorating By j1handal Updated 7 Aug 2011 , 1:07pm by Chala86

j1handal Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 26

I myself was unhappy with the results of this cake. I had a gut feeling she was not going to like it. I pushed my time to the limit and I just failed this one. Her response was, "It's fine". I am upset that one it is her mothers 100th and also because she is my boss. Could someone please tell me an easier way to frost a cake with buttercream. I have watched all the videos used every trick and its still just not my thing. I did inform her I stink at making flowers. (my husband said they looke like some vulgar, I cant say) I just want to cry because I have always had such great feedback on my cakes. Am i being to hard on myself or is this a great lesson? I will post a photo and please tell me your opinion and feed back. What should I have done differently!

25 replies
CWR41 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 26

I don't see anything wrong with it.

Perhaps add some leaves or stems the next time.

You did pretty darn good!

peg818 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 26

I think some darker/brighter colors would have helped. I really think it looks very nice. Not what i would consider a disaster by any means.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 26

Is it the slab cake in your pictures? If so, I think it's really pretty, definately not a disaster! I would try not to worry about it!

Allie06 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 26

We are our own worst critics, huh?! I think your flowers are fun! I do agree that maybe some color pop somewhere would have been better, for me, but if the Boss wanted light colors what can yah do?! Go scour Cake Wrecks and feel better! We all try so hard, might as well giggle a bit when it flops, and learn from the flop!

DSmo Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 26

You're being hard on yourself. It's a really nice cake. I just have two suggestions. 1) you might be happier with the smoothed buttercream if you added a border to the top edge. It's really difficult to smooth a sheet cake and adding that border breaks up the top from the sides, so you can do each separately and not have to worry about a nice edge also. 2) I wouldn't combine piped handwriting with the fondant cutout letters. Choose one or the other, but not both.

sistercarey Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 26

I like your cake...maybe brighter color more detail around the boarder.Very pretty. icon_wink.gif

fondantgrl Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 5:28pm
post #8 of 26

I think it looks great.. don't see anything wrong with it. SO, if your husband is critical about your flowers, does it mean that he can do it a much better than you ? because that is the only reason i can think of.

Cakeuhlicious Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 5:36pm
post #9 of 26

I think the cake looks fine, but it does lack the "wow" factor. The buttercream looks ok to me and the flowers are very cute.

If you were to make this cake (or one like it) again, I agree with adding a top border. There is also some various style difference in the elements you used. The elegant big flower and leaves and the the smaller, more modern flowers, the small traditional bottom border and the jovial lettering. The cut outs and the piping.

I would go one of two ways moving forward:

A) Create the flower clusters out of the more modern flowers and do all of the writing in that jovial lettering with bigger borders on top and bottom in a plain tube and simple pipe style.

B) Use more of the bigger elegant style flower with the leaves and do all the writing in hand piping. Use a slightly larger traditional border on top and bottom.

In either case you may consider covering more area with flowers (lots of blank area) and bring the flower elements down to the bottom border, as well as adding more color so they pop a little. If you have 2 birthday people again, you could even use the flowers to create a divide in the cake for the seperate happy birthday messages.

Overall though, I think it's fine. Your best work? no. But not bad by any means. Im sure it tasted awesome too!

matthewkyrankelly Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 5:40pm
post #10 of 26

The cake was nice. I don't see how your boss could be upset.

That said, I didn't completely get the big flower. The close-up revealed a little about what your husband said. As far as that goes - I figure when in doubt, leave it out. If someone can interpret something wrong - they will.

Spackle knives and angle squares from the hardware department can really help with crisp right angles on a sheetcake. You probably already chill the cake and smooth with a warm knife or spatula.

Even with the criticism the cake is good.

kakeladi Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 5:49pm
post #11 of 26

Your cake is very nice. You are being much too hard on yourself.
I do agree w/another poster who said it's nice but lacks WOW factor. And I think it's a same for the lady to have to share her super special 100th b'day w/someone else.
A bit more color would help - some light to medium green leaves; darker centers to those pretty flowers [Your DH can go jump in the lakeicon_smile.gif] and a few accents to the lettering in a bit darker pink would have helped.

Cakeuhlicious Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 5:51pm
post #12 of 26
Originally Posted by kakeladi

And I think it's a same for the lady to have to share her super special 100th b'day w/someone else.

Good point!! LOL

luntus Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 6:07pm
post #13 of 26

Have you tried using a roller to smooth your buttercream on sheet cakes? I used to hate it and learnt it from this site... I think it is called the Melvira method... if I am not mistaken.

Cakeuhlicious Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 6:22pm
post #14 of 26
Originally Posted by luntus

Have you tried using a roller to smooth your buttercream on sheet cakes? I used to hate it and learnt it from this site... I think it is called the Melvira method... if I am not mistaken.

Not a bad idea!

LEHLA Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 6:32pm
post #15 of 26

A;so try the viva method if you use a crusting butter cream let it sit abiout 10 to 15 min the use a viva paer towel ( only viva has not idents on it) then I use a fondant smoother and smooth over the paper towels and it works wonders for a nice smooth icing! hope this helps but I dont see any big problem with your cake Doesnt look that bad WE ARE OUR WORST CRITICS

j1handal Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 6:36pm
post #16 of 26

Thank you, Thank you for all the suggestions! I actually agree with all these comments. How could I not! I did go to the cake supply and buy the premade sprays of cherry blossoms. I asked her if I could redo this cake and redeliver tomorrow before the party. I will take off these flowers, the writing and add the border. I will post a better photo when finished. Wish me luck and thanks again.

patjobes Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 3:43pm
post #17 of 26

i realy dont see anything wrong with this cake apart from the top edge that a border would cover, if i turned out a cake like that i would be very happy indeed, but there again i think we are our own worst critics, im curious though what exactly did your boss say,apart from its fine to make you feel she was dissapointed

Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 7:49pm
post #18 of 26

The best advice about smoothing BC is finding a recipe that you like and is easy to work with..For me it WBH icing and I have never looked back.I used to hate icing a cake also and now I can do a 9x13 slab in about 10 minutes..If you find a great recipe then it makes it easier..Sorry but those crusting recipes are just that...crusting and very difficult to get a smooth finish without using a wet hot knife or papertowel...JMO

j1handal Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 8:49pm
post #19 of 26

Thank you all my CC friends. I redid my boss' cake and it was a hit! Thank you, Thank you for all the suggestions! icon_smile.gif

Claire138 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 9:21pm
post #20 of 26

I can't get those paper towels where I live so I use baking paper with a fondant smoother to smooth it all out. As long as the buttercream is dry/crusted you shouldn't have a problem.

Really pretty cake btw!

KimsCakeKitchen Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 9:54pm
post #21 of 26

I liked it before! But I must admit it looks a lot better now. I hope your Boss appreciates everything you have done. icon_smile.gif

sabre Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 10:07pm
post #22 of 26

After looking at both your cakes, I think they are both lovely. As other members have said, you are your worst critic.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 2:09am
post #23 of 26

The first one was good.

This one looks spectacular! Great job.

SweetSuzieQ Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 3:09am
post #24 of 26

Great job, the re-do turned out amazing!!!

Coral3 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 11:54am
post #25 of 26

Thumbs up to the second one...it looks heaps better, great save!! Was your boss happier with the improvements you made?

Chala86 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 1:07pm
post #26 of 26

I see absolutely nothing wrong with your cake. In fact I think you've done a pretty good job of it. As for the flowers looking vulgar - I must be seeing something different because you've done a better job of them than I would have although I do agree that they needed a bit of colour. You are definately being far too hard on yourself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%