Tired Of Rolling Fondant, Check This Out

Decorating By tiggy2 Updated 8 Aug 2011 , 4:40am by infinitsky

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 8:39pm
post #31 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisviz

Woah! Can you imagine how pissed off you would be if you bought a sheet and then for some reason it tore when you were putting it on the cake?? Ykes. I get where he is going with it, but yikes! Wish him luck with this.

That was my thought as well. I know I can't say much on it as I've not covered a cake in fondant yet (though it's something I've been wanting to try), but I've worked with it a little bit for decorations and whatnot.

Fondant can tear, and I would be afraid to pay $25.00 for it to tear on me (then have to roll my own out anyway). I don't know how common this is for experienced people and can't even say for myself (but will find out), but I think if I were looking to purchase the product, that would be a concern.

It does look interesting though, and could be useful especially if you're in a time crunch.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 9:03pm
post #32 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantgrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire138

You are right! I actually just thought that the fondant seemed very thin but looking at it from your point of view I stand corrected. Although, don't they edit this stuff? (just a thought).

Live TV cannot and will not be edited... it is what it is.. I have done it b4..

That particular segment was not "live" it was pre taped and could have been shot more than once if the baker had asked them to.

I would have more issue with the actual shipping method and if the product could be kept flat in transport. Otherwise you are more than likely going to wind up with a messed up piece of fondant anyway.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 9:25pm
post #33 of 73

Looks cool, but thanks I'll roll mine.It does look a bit like plastic though. But nice idea for people that can afford it.

SweetDreams_DK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams_DK Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 10:05pm
post #34 of 73

I think the plastic look people are referring to comes from the plastic sheets they're rolled out in. I use plastic mats to roll fondant so that I don't need to use cornstarch (and dry it out), and it comes out nice and shiney.

Also, there's such a wide difference in taste and texture between different brands of fondant. We all know that some of them taste horrible. I'd want to try a sample before I committed.

SweetDreams_DK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams_DK Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 10:06pm
post #35 of 73

I think the plastic look people are referring to comes from the plastic sheets they're rolled out in. I use plastic mats to roll fondant so that I don't need to use cornstarch (and dry it out), and it comes out nice and shiney.

Also, there's such a wide difference in taste and texture between different brands of fondant. We all know that some of them taste horrible. I'd want to try a sample before I committed.

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 10:37pm
post #36 of 73
Quote:

Like you never had tears on your fondant ever? He was just showing how it is done FAST for TV !!!! TV cameras do not and CANNOT wait for perfection. This man has 20 years of experience and has perfected fondant. Well let's see you on TV doing all that work that FAST !! besides, that was a dummy he was working on, so that won't be sold and eaten..

Since you already bolded it---it is kind of the point. It looked liked it torn pretty easily. And yes mine has torn and there have been times when I have had to roll it back out. Kind of an important point since he is claiming to eliminate rolling.

Given that it tears, and from what it looked like fairly easily, this is far from perfection. This is also particularly important since he claims anyone would be able to use it with little knowledge of or experience with fondant. No in fact the video shows you better have familiarity with fondant or you are likely to tear it.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 10:39pm
post #37 of 73

I would give anything right now to have a sheet of fondant I could just cut strips out of. I hate doing that...and I have the worst time working with a large amount of fondant. I can't roll worth diddly squat anything beyond 10 inches. Right now I need 4 straight strips of fondant, each 25 inches long and a 1/4" wide.
Ask me how I'm doing with that?!

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 10:57pm
post #38 of 73

I am struggling with the statement that anyone with little knowledge or experience can make fabulous cakes at home just because the fondant is ready rolled!

I am sorry but that is the easiest part, getting it onto the cake and smoothing it to perfection is the hard part and just cos your fondant is ready rolled aint going make joe schmo any better at applying it to the cake.

It also mentions its going to save hours, well again this is rubbish. It takes me all of 10 minutes (and that's generous) to knead and roll even a large piece for a 12 in cake so even 4 tiers it aint gonna save hours!

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 11:33pm
post #39 of 73

$25 a sheet! Holy crap!

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 11:38pm
post #40 of 73

Torches and pitch forks !! run ! poor guy

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 12:03am
post #41 of 73

No comment on this product. I'm afraid that I may get yelled at for speaking my mind, Geesh!!!
evelyn

peetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peetz Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 12:56am
post #42 of 73

At 25.00 a sheet I can cover the same amount of cake for 5.00 as I can for 50.00 with this product. Plus I bet mine tastes better too. What happens when you need to remove it and re- roll it. Will it hold up the same?

Guess I am to new and to cheap to be a customer of his. sorry. Nice cakes though.

boomerangbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boomerangbaker Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:15am
post #43 of 73
Quote:

So basically people aren't allowed to have their own opinion?
If a product is for sale we must all love it and run out and buy it?

Are you related to this guy or something, you seem to be taking honest critiques of a new product a wee bit personal.

michellew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellew Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:18am
post #44 of 73

just don't see the point, dosn't take that long to knead and roll some fondant, the price dosn't justify the product.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:20am
post #45 of 73

At $25/sheet, that's just insane for any bakery or someone who makes cake regularly to pay. I don't care if it's made out of unicorn tears and fairies will magically appear in my kitchen to cover my cake for me, it's not something I'd start using.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:39am
post #46 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerangbaker

Quote:

So basically people aren't allowed to have their own opinion?
If a product is for sale we must all love it and run out and buy it?

Are you related to this guy or something, you seem to be taking honest critiques of a new product a wee bit personal.

ahhhh no... are you ?

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:40am
post #47 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommie917

Am I the only one that saw all the tears in the fondant?

Nope! I saw them too.

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:43am
post #48 of 73

I don't mind the statement that it helps novices decorate. Honestly a novice isn't doing a 4 tier wedding cake. Several of my friends and family would actually probably decorate more if something like this was available to them. Between having to make it, get it to the right consistency, roll it, and transfer it to the cake they would gladly pay the $25. My cousin actually just gave me 2lbs of white fondant from Sweetwise the other day because she didn't want to take the time to knead in color.

I don't see this as a product that professionals will use, even if he does hope to market it there. Professionals, and even hobbyists do enough cakes to have the tools and know how to make their own without having to invest so much money. But for the amateur who doesn't want to get The MAT, or rolling pins, or figure out how to keep their MMF from sticking, or even make their own fondant to begin with, this would be helpful if you wanted to invest the money.

And for what it's worth, my husband used to work at that news station. They didn't do retakes. They pretty much did one shot, then edited it back at the station. So it wasn't live, but it wasn't like he had multiple chances to redo things more than likely.

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:51am
post #49 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

At $25/sheet, that's just insane for any bakery or someone who makes cake regularly to pay. I don't care if it's made out of unicorn tears and fairies will magically appear in my kitchen to cover my cake for me, it's not something I'd start using.

Lmaoooooooooo I agree with you... It's not pratical for a person who bakes alot. I'm not taking a chance on the taste.. The price is insane but I care taste.. I could only imagine how it taste icon_confused.gif

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:54am
post #50 of 73

Also, what do you do with the extra that is cut off?? Presumably, you would re-knead it and roll it out, unless you want to throw it all away, and at $25 a sheet, why would you do that?

This product is advertised similarly to the Cricut cake, which is, "Look at these fabulous cakes you can make in 2 minutes at home with zero skill and absolutely no practice!" Pfft.

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 2:17am
post #51 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I don't know... I love unicorn's and if fairies are going to cover the cake.. $25 is a good deal...thanks for the chuckle

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 2:52am
post #52 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieB

I don't mind the statement that it helps novices decorate. Honestly a novice isn't doing a 4 tier wedding cake ... for the amateur who doesn't want to get The MAT, or rolling pins, or figure out how to keep their MMF from sticking, or even make their own fondant to begin with, this would be helpful if you wanted to invest the money.

I agree. My first thought was "Oh, brother!" But I do totally agree that it's perfect for a mom who's wanting to make her kid's birthday cake herself.

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 4:07am
post #53 of 73

I can imagine him pitching this to the big bakeries, as they raise their eyebrows, and lovingly pat their Somersets.

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 4:50am
post #54 of 73

cool idea! to much money for me

BabyGerald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGerald Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 5:21am
post #55 of 73

With so many extremely expensive "shortcuts" available (fondant fabric, cricut) that are marketed to one-shot, home bakers... At what point is a "home made" cake still home-made? Why don't I just deliver a finished cake to their house so they can put it on a plate and call it their own? (for an astronomical price, like other shortcuts.)

In other words, if you want to make your kid a cake, why not actually do the work? Yes, this may involve rolling out fondant - horrors! Won't it be more satisfying to actually make & decorate the cake you plan on taking credit for? Won't your child's smile mean more if you earn it?

As for bakeries, the idea of spending that much is laughable. If you've made it to that stage, you likely have a grasp of this basic skill.

That said, I think Jay should be applauded for attempting to advance cake science. Even if this product doesn't seem useful to me, it's easy for me to imagine this being a necessary step toward something better. Just my 2 cents...

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 8:39am
post #56 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGerald

With so many extremely expensive "shortcuts" available (fondant fabric, ) that are marketed to one-shot, home bakers... At what point is a "home made" cake still home-made? Why don't I just deliver a finished cake to their house so they can put it on a plate and call it their own? (for an astronomical price, like other shortcuts.)

Don't you think people do that already, I know that some of my customers have done that!

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:40pm
post #57 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGerald

In other words, if you want to make your kid a cake, why not actually do the work? Yes, this may involve rolling out fondant - horrors! Won't it be more satisfying to actually make & decorate the cake you plan on taking credit for? Won't your child's smile mean more if you earn it?

Some people are really intimidated by fondant, store bought or homemade. Look at these forums full of questions every day by people who just can't seem to get it right. Mostly from people new here or just doing their first fondant cake. I think a "shortcut" is completely acceptable.

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 2:14pm
post #58 of 73

It seemed like a good product until I heard the price. Of course after that I started nit-picking the entire video. I'm all for great shortcuts but not for $25 for that sheet. I would also need to sample it before I do anything else. It's just too expensive for something that may taste truly awful.

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 9:19pm
post #59 of 73

this is not meant for anyone in particular (boy, I feel that I have to monitor the most simplest comment now icon_eek.gif ), but I am not a professional-at least not on the looks of the cakes, but my cakes are professional quality inside, that is, their taste, anyway, as a newbie, I bought a fondant-not the best quality- but what a royal mess I made, so I agree, unless you have some skill, this will not help you, but if we rolled out our fondant-home made, and put it in an airtight envelope, wouldn't we have this same product, Regardless, kudos to him for marketing this product. I'm dying to try it, but won't unless I have a lot of extra income soon. icon_biggrin.gif

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 9:19pm
post #60 of 73

this is not meant for anyone in particular (boy, I feel that I have to monitor the most simplest comment now icon_eek.gif ), but I am not a professional-at least not on the looks of the cakes, but my cakes are professional quality inside, that is, their taste, anyway, as a newbie, I bought a fondant-not the best quality- but what a royal mess I made, so I agree, unless you have some skill, this will not help you, but if we rolled out our fondant-home made, and put it in an airtight envelope, wouldn't we have this same product, Regardless, kudos to him for marketing this product. I'm dying to try it, but won't unless I have a lot of extra income soon. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%