Steaming Gumpaste Flowers - Necessary?

Decorating By GarciaGM Updated 5 Aug 2011 , 4:21pm by milkmaid42

GarciaGM Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 13

I'm doing a wedding cake for tomorrow that will have a cascade of calla lilies. I have all the flowers formed and about half of them colored with petal dust and luster dust, but I'm concerned about being short on time. What exactly is the purpose of steaming the gumpaste flowers? Is it only to set the dust? If I run out of time and can't steam them, will it be a big deal? Thanks!!

12 replies
Lemmers Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 13

As far as I'm aware it is just to set the colours, however I myself have never steamed them and the colour has stayed jut fine!

cakegrandma Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 13

Steaming sets the luster dust so it does not wipe off or powder off. It only takes a second to do this, just run the flower through the steam and it will set the colors. I think it makes the flowers look prettier and realer myself.
evelyn

milkmaid42 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 13

I, personally, prefer the appearance steaming gives, not to mention the stability it gives the dust. Calla lilies in particular benefit, as it gives a realistic luminosity, so like the real flower. If time is of the essence, it could be omitted, but it doesn't take but a short time. Just pass it briefly through the steam so you don't damage the gumpaste.
At any rate, it will be beautiful. They are a lovely flower.

Jan

TexasSugar Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 13

As said steaming sets the colors and makes them look less chalky. I think it is worth doing. It doesn't take very long to steam them at all. Once steamed don't touch them and set them a side for a few minutes before you handle them again.

milkmaid42 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 13

I, personally, prefer the appearance steaming gives, not to mention the stability it gives the dust. Calla lilies in particular benefit, as it gives a realistic luminosity, so like the real flower. If time is of the essence, it could be omitted, but it doesn't take but a short time. Just pass it briefly through the steam so don't damage the gumpaste.
At any rate, it will be beautiful. They are a lovely flower.

Jan

GarciaGM Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks so much guys!! After thinking about it, I believe you guys are right, it shouldn't take long at all. Surely I can find a helper to run them through the steam if I get into trouble with time!! Thanks!!

Claire138 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 13

I've never steamed flowers before, can I use a regular iron or is there a particular steamer?

milkmaid42 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 13

I started out just holding the flower over the steam from a teakettle on my stove. Since then I've purchased an inexpensive clothes steamer from Walmart and keep it hanging from a hook on the leg of my work table. It is much handier. It really doesn't have to be anything fancy.

TexasSugar Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:14pm
post #10 of 13

Clothes steamers work fine.

Claire138 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:16pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks for the tips! will try this next week.

milkmaid42 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:18pm
post #12 of 13

I started out just holding the flower over the steam from a teakettle on my stove. Since then I've purchased an inexpensive clothes steamer from Walmart and keep it hanging from a hook on the leg of my work table. It is much handier. It really doesn't have to be anything fancy.

milkmaid42 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:21pm
post #13 of 13

Why am I the only one getting double posts? I thought they were fixing glitches and now here is a new one I'm encountering.
Sorry for the double posts. I know I talk too much, but not THAT much! icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif
Jan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%