Hanging Cupcakes From Branches

Baking By idontknow Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 2:48pm by mhcl

idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 12:11pm
post #1 of 24

I've seen a couple of examples of cupcakes displays where they have hung cupcakes using ribbon and some sort of ring or holder from tree branches such as this http://www.ohcupcakes.net/images/related-items-hanging-cupcakes-1.jpg. has any one done this before? I can't figure out what kind of holder or ring to buy for this kind of project and how stable everything would be. looks fantastic though.

23 replies
amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 12:21pm
post #2 of 24

Now this is only a suggestion and what I tried to figure out to do this. I think you could get some cheap bracelets, like at Walmart. They come in a package on a card, and there are so many for for so much money or even a dollar store. Then you could embellish them any way you would want to. You could glue the ribbons to the bracelet, which would make them more stable. (I wouldn't embellish where the ribbon would go). I really this display was beautiful when I saw it. I only have one problem with this. Is that if you get the branch out of your yard, there might be tiny little creatures in the wood. I know when I did a wood project before, the instructions suggesting that you bake it in your oven to kill any critters.
That worked for me. But how would you get a big branch in your oven?
I am seriously going to suggest this for my next wedding I am going to do.

amaryllis756 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 24

I am sorry, I didn't see you were in the UK. I don't know what kind of store you have there, probably no walmart or dollar store. But maybe you could even find some cheap bracelets over the internet. I will take a look and see what I can find. I will let you know.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 24

Oh Amaryllis, there are plenty of places in the UK that have inexpensive and fantastic looking jewellery...(my daughter lived in Glasgow). and theres Poundland! But back to the project at hand. It's gorgeous and now I'm hoping I can do something like this. Amaryllis has a great idea in using those thin metallic bracelets from India and cover them with decorative ribbon. I would glue (god bless the hot glue gun) the bracelet to the sides of the hanging ribbon so the ribbon would act as a base for the cupcake.

Idontknow, have you decided on the branches? We have a great supply store on line here but I'm sure you can find similar in the UK (in fact I'm sure you'll find even better sources) I'm thinking I'll do something like this http://www.save-on-crafts.com/silvertrees.html . I have a standard order for a Christmas party for a local home decor party and this idea is perfect. Thanks for sharing.

idontknow Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 24

thanks for the ideas! and yes we do indeed have a range of pound (or dollar) stores here so that's a great idea - Walmart bought one of our big grocery store chain so we kind of have Walmart too icon_cool.gif. I'm thinking i could find cheap bracelets at primark (a cheap clothing chain). but just wondering about the size of them - do you suggest getting the stretchy kind or the rigid metal type? if rigid i guess id have to carry a cupcake in with me to make sure it's the right size so it doesn't fall through the bottom!

i would love to do this kind of display, im hoping if i can find the right equipment it could one of my signature styles thumbs_up.gif

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 24

Idontknow, I'm thinking the bottom of the suspension ribbon would support the cupcake especially if it were wide enough. LOL I'm glad you are in London so we don't have any cross-over clients between there and rural South Carolina (although my cousins from Sunderland and Belfast come over regularly!)

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by idontknow

thanks for the ideas! and yes we do indeed have a range of pound (or dollar) stores here so that's a great idea - Walmart bought one of our big grocery store chain so we kind of have Walmart too icon_cool.gif. I'm thinking i could find cheap bracelets at primark (a cheap clothing chain). but just wondering about the size of them - do you suggest getting the stretchy kind or the rigid metal type?
Just jumping in here - buy the ones that stretch - that way the ribbon will sit neatly and firmly around your cupcakes...
OR
if you wish - you can use some double sided tape on the bottom of your cupcake case/wrapper so as it sticks to your ribbon -

Bluehue

if rigid i guess id have to carry a cupcake in with me to make sure it's the right size so it doesn't fall through the bottom!

i would love to do this kind of display, im hoping if i can find the right equipment it could one of my signature styles thumbs_up.gif

stormrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormrider Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 7:38pm
post #8 of 24

I wonder if you couldn't use those clear plastic cups that you would use under a small potted plant (to keep your table dry) and glue it to the ribbon as a base to hold the cupcake. I know it wont look as pretty (tho I'm thinking you might be able to glue beads to the edge to decorate them). It might make it a bit more sturdy and wind-proof in case the weather doesn't cooperate.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 7:50pm
post #9 of 24

When I enlarged the picture to see it a bit closer, it looks like they put a piece of ribbon on the inside of the ring to support the cupcake to the right height, then another on the outside for decoration. I would think a ridged ring would work best. And it should be as close to the size as your cupcake as possible for less wiggle. This display is breathtaking and whimsical. Good luck.

amaryllis756 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 6:37am
post #10 of 24

I was thinking of the rigid kind. I am sure they come in different widths. The ribbon if glued right, would suppiort the cupcake. I never thought of the wind or weather, but that could be a factor. I could just see those cupcake swinging in the breeze. You know what else I thought might work: is canning rings from either pint or quart size jars. I havent checked yet, but I bet the pint size would be the right size. You can decorate those too, and they are wider than some of those cheap bracelets. I looked at the picture again, and I see that the cupcake is not supported by the ribbon on the bottom. But I can't see why (if the rings were a little big, and you couldn't make the ribbon tighter, to be use as a bottom support, and use double sticky take like someone said earlier and tape the cupcake to the ribbon. a little more work, but would be added stability. Mind you, I haven't tried it, it is just ideas forming out of my head. If anyone tries it, let us know if you have had sucess with it.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 7:38am
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllis756

I was thinking of the rigid kind. I am sure they come in different widths. The ribbon if glued right, would suppiort the cupcake. I never thought of the wind or weather, but that could be a factor. I could just see those cupcake swinging in the breeze. You know what else I thought might work: is canning rings from either pint or quart size jars. I havent checked yet, but I bet the pint size would be the right size. You can decorate those too, and they are wider than some of those cheap bracelets. I looked at the picture again, and I see that the cupcake is not supported by the ribbon on the bottom. But I can't see why (if the rings were a little big, and you couldn't make the ribbon tighter, to be use as a bottom support, and use double sticky take like someone said earlier and tape the cupcake to the ribbon. a little more work, but would be added stability. Mind you, I haven't tried it, it is just ideas forming out of my head. If anyone tries it, let us know if you have had sucess with it.

I was thinking jar lids too. And it looks like there is an inner ribbon supporting the cupcakes and an outer decorative one.

idontknow Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 10:31pm
post #12 of 24

right so i managed to get my hands on a bunch of pretty pearl stretchy bracelets - 10 for a £1 so cheap! - and I tried wrapping it around a cupcake, once around was too loose but as they are stretchy I wrapped it around twice so it made for a better snug fit. I then tied two pieces of ribbon one on either side and it seemed pretty stable. I even tried swinging it around a bit and it didn't flip upside down. i think for ease of getting hold of these and cost effectiveness, i think this could be the way to go.

now i just need to figure out what to hang them on because as someone said earlier trees have a lot of stuff that just falls so can imagine the CC ending up being covered in bits. any ideas on creating a fairly large branch display from which to hang the cuppies from? I could set the branches in a big flower pot filled with stones for stability. Ikea has a bundle of branches but they were fairly straight with no give in them so can't hang anything from those. i need something which is able to support the weight but arches too...

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 11:18pm
post #13 of 24

Here is the article explaining how she made them. This is such a neat idea.

http://cooksinglive.wordpress.com/2011/04/20/hanging-cupcakes-and-cupcake-wrappers/

amaryllis756 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 7:07am
post #14 of 24

thanks Jaimelt76 that was a great article. It is just about how I was thinking of doing it. That really helped. I hope I get the opportunity to use it sometime. There are endless ways to do this. You could even paint the branch in gold or silver or really any other color for that matter. I think even putting a little bit of clear glitter on white spray paint would be beautiful, for a little glitz. Still the only problem I would have a hard time dealing with is, if there are little critters living in the wood. That is the only thing that is still bothering me. Especially if you are using the branch from your own yard. Another thought, what do you guys thing about this? Do you think maybe spray painting the branch with clear acrylic spay might seal the branch and therefore not have the above problems with critters?

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 12:48pm
post #15 of 24

My daughter who will be 13 in Feb. loved this and wants this for her b-day. I am going to get some type of large ring like a hula hoop and hang it from the ceiling. Then I am going to hang the cupcakes from that over a decrative table.
As far as a branch what if you dipped the branch in bleach solution to kill off anything? Then spray it with either paint or some type of sealant.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 3:24pm
post #17 of 24

would love to order something like the Manzanita branches but can't seem to find any suppliers here in the UK, would have to buy from the US and postage is expensive due to their size. Will have to find an alternative. If anybody knows how to safely use branches from your own trees - is sealing them with primer or something OK? or just letting them dry out for a couple of weeks before use? i have ample supply of the perfectly shaped branches in my back garden so would be great to use those!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 3:33pm
post #18 of 24

idontknow, I think you should maybe read through that blog. They sell you the branches, but on the blog (since it's all about branches), they might have ideas on how to paint them, and what to use. Of course you should use your own branches. I think this place would sell you the same kind of stuff!

idontknow Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 3:35pm
post #19 of 24

yes i had a read through, they look great, I wish i could order - but as im in the UK it would be quite expensive to ship them over!

amaryllis756 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 9:27am
post #20 of 24

I found this site too. Not bad price for a branch. I think shipping is high, but I have seen some outrageous charges on shipping lately. Seems a lot of over charging on shipping. Anyway, just spoutting off. Here is the link

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/manzanita3.html

Mamasan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamasan Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 8:24pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimelt76

My daughter who will be 13 in Feb. loved this and wants this for her b-day. I am going to get some type of large ring like a hula hoop and hang it from the ceiling. Then I am going to hang the cupcakes from that over a decrative table.
As far as a branch what if you dipped the branch in bleach solution to kill off anything? Then spray it with either paint or some type of sealant.

I love, love the hula hoop idea! thumbs_up.gif I wonder if you could tie string or clothesline in a "tennis racket" pattern, giving the option of various position and lengths icon_biggrin.gif

I SO want to try this now!

amaryllis756 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 9:00am
post #22 of 24

You know what I was just think. Don't know how it would work. But you have to buy canning lids and jars because they come in the same package. Could you use the lid part, inside the ring and set the cupcakes on that. That way the cupcakes might be more stable. Or do you think it wouldn't be a deep enough holder. Just throwing this thought out there! I am going to do this for my sisters Labor Day Party just for practice.

idontknow Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 1:21pm
post #23 of 24

ooh i've found uk site offering manzanita branches http://www.decorativebranches.co.uk . i think i will try one of the 45-60 cm and see how that goes, a bit costly though.

mhcl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhcl Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 2:48pm
post #24 of 24

I would like to have a party just to put cupcakes in a tree now! Fabulous idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%