Time Line For Baking 400 Cupcakes Please?

Baking By amaryllis756 Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 12:38pm by texastj

amaryllis756 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 9:57am
post #1 of 20

Can someone please give me advice on a schdule of when I should start baking my cupcakes for a wedding on Aug.13? They want them there on friday the 12th, by noon. (I won't be setting up) 120 of them are filled. No fondant decorations, just icing. I tend to get things ready too soon, so I am nervous about when to start. I will probably be baking them by myself. Will have 1 or 2 helping me with the filling and frosting. One oven, but 2 racks, can fit 24 on a rack. any suggestions would be appreciated.

19 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 10:43am
post #2 of 20

I find cupcakes dry out very fast so I would bake the day before delivery and ice later that same day.

GuiltyPleasures Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 2:10am
post #3 of 20

Cupcakes do dry out very quickly. If it were a standard American Buttercream I would get all my icing made up a week to a couple days before I was going to be icing. Because they dry out so quickly I would also bake the day before delivery (if your icing is already made this should help speed things along). I would also add a simple syrup to help retain moisture. After placing them in my bakery box I would saran wrap or put aluminum foil around the box to keep it airtight which should also help keep them from drying out. (This only is a good idea if you do not have fondant involved). Good luck!

amaryllis756 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 6:45am
post #4 of 20

Thanks alot. guys. I will heed your advice.

texastj Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 7:40am
post #5 of 20

The most I made was 300 and here's what I did:
Sunday: Grocery list and shop for ingredients. Prepare and color fondant if needed.
Monday: Start working on fondant decorations
Tuesday: Prepare frostings; then wrap and freeze them. Or you can have them sit out in a covered container. Some people make frosting plugs and I've done that too. But for me it really doesn't make since to do this since I have to rewhip everything just before piping it onto the cupcakes.
Wednesday: prepare any fillings, sauces, or toppings and refrigerate or store.
Thursday: Bake cupcakes and store. I bought a organizer that you can store clothing or misellaneous items in and place under the bed. It's long and thin. Anyhoo, I use this to store my cupcakes. It has a lid and keeps everything pretty sealed. I don't have an issue with cupcakes drying up using this method. Actually they stay pretty moist this way.
Friday: Start assembling the cupcakes.

Some have even frozen their cupcake batter previously and then baked at a later time. I've tried this a couple of times. Once using red velvet and another time using chocolate. I overfilled the tins with the chocolate batter so I had to redo it. The red velvet I overcooked slightly and I also think the texture was a little off. But it could just be me. Can't completely say I'm sold on this idea because I've only tried it a couple of times and not yet comfortable with it just yet. I will continue to try because I think it will save me a load of time.

Hope this helps and good luck!

amaryllis756 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 9:27am
post #6 of 20

Thanks texastj
That is the best advice offered yet. I too store my cupcakes in plastic containers like you suggest. I also don't have any problems with them drying. (Sometimes they get too moist). I am mostly doing this by myself, so I think it is going to take 2 days to bake. So....I better get move. Helped alot, and thanks again.

linedancer Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 12:46pm
post #7 of 20

You can always start baking now and freeze the cupcakes. IMHO, the freezing makes them moist. I use the aluminum roasting pans you can get 2 for a dollar at Dollar Tree to freeze them in. They each store a dozen, I put a layer of plastic wrap right on top of the cupcakes, then a piece of aluminum foil on top. You can stack them 4 or 5 high without damaging the bottom layer.

When you get ready to thaw them, I take off the foil and plastic wrap while they are still frozen, so the plastic wrap does not stick to the top of the cupcakes, and they dry a bit as they are thawing.

texastj Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 20

You're very welcome Amaryllis! Happy baking and good luck with everything!!! Keep us posted and let us know how everything goes.

amaryllis756 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 9:35am
post #9 of 20

Update: Today is tuesday and things are going well. Got the biggest part of the order done. 75 each of chocolate, vanilla, and marble. More baking today. As I work out of my home, my biggest problem is storage. Do you know how much room it takes to store 400 cupcakes, guess I didn't realize that. Thats not including the room in the fridge for the eggs and butter. 2 fridges full to the brim! icon_cry.gif It isn't all that bad, but it is crazy trying to arrange where everything is. LOL Dont want to shop for groceries, cause they will take up room too. Oh well maybe we will loose some of those unwanted pounds. detective.gif

Mamasan Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllis756

Update: Today is tuesday and things are going well. Got the biggest part of the order done. 75 each of chocolate, vanilla, and marble. More baking today. As I work out of my home, my biggest problem is storage. Do you know how much room it takes to store 400 cupcakes, guess I didn't realize that. Thats not including the room in the fridge for the eggs and butter. 2 fridges full to the brim! icon_cry.gif It isn't all that bad, but it is crazy trying to arrange where everything is. LOL Dont want to shop for groceries, cause they will take up room too. Oh well maybe we will loose some of those unwanted pounds. detective.gif

I also use the long under the bed storage containers and I line the bottoms with that grippy shelf liner stuff so my cupcakes don't slide around. Then I put the lid on (no icing) and they stay super moist! The day before I need them, I put the icing on, let it dry a bit and put the lid back on my container. HTH icon_smile.gif

texastj Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 8:39pm
post #11 of 20

Amaryllis, sounds like you had a very productive day. I'm also having a cupcake marathon. Not 400 like you. Only 12 dozen cupcakes, 7 different flavors, fillings, toppings, sauces....let's just say I'm happy to be sitting down resting my feet icon_smile.gif And it starts all over again in the morning, lol. Keep up the good work and can't wait to see pics.

amaryllis756 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 8:53am
post #12 of 20

icon_eek.gif texa tj: sounds like you are busy enough to me. 7 dozen is quite a few cupcakes, with all the fillings and things you are doing. At least I don't have to fill all of them. You too, have your work cut out for you. There are only 120 I have to fill. I am so afraid that I am not going to get them all done. I am leaving all the frosting to do on thursday. My daughters boss offered to give her 1/2 day off to help, and she isn't even involved in the wedding. (she is just a really nice person). So I will have help on thurs to frost. I only have 1/2 day on friday. They have to be at the venue by noon on friday. I have to do just a regular swirl on 200 and a ruffle flower with 2 different colors on 200. Man, I hope I get done. Do you think I should start frosting on thursday? Starting to panic now. LOL

texastj Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 11:33am
post #13 of 20

Amaryllis, I actually have 12 dozen cupcakes to make. Just 7 different flavors. I've already done the frosting, fillings, and sauces. I made all but 2 dozen of the cupcakes today (ran out of sugar). So tomorrow I will frost and Friday I will package everything up. It's funny because my order is due Friday at noon as well icon_biggrin.gif. So to answer your question, yes definitely frost tomorrow! I always repeat this quote to keep myself on schedule "if you fail to prepare then you are preparing to fail". So always try to keep ahead of schedule, that way in case you run into any mishaps you will have time to correct it. I will keep you in my thoughts today and tomorrow. Then Friday we can both celebrate. Yay!!!

amaryllis756 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 11:49am
post #14 of 20

Texastj
12 DOZEN- THAT IS A LOT OF CUPCAKES! I think yours are more intricate than mine. I don't have sauces, and that kind of stuff. Good Luck Yes, it is funny that we both have a delivery at 12 noon of friday! You have been so helpful, and supportive. Thanks! I will definately be thinking of you too. Especially on friday when the cupcakes are on the move! (my biggest worry) One thing I did find out, that when I was counting and adding up my cupakes, I made 25 extra of the marble. Oh well, I will just use them for farmers markets. LOL. *Cheers* to us of friday afternoon. I think I will be taking a nap LOL.
Make sure you post pics, I would like to see them.

texastj Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 4:33pm
post #15 of 20

You can always freeze the extras too. I've always done this and whenever I'm thinking of a new flavor combination, I just go to the freezer and pull out the cupcake and/or frosting and start testing. Oh and a drink afterwards sounds like a good idea. Anything, so I don't have to go back in the kitchen. That's always the rough part for me. You take all this time to prepare, bake, decorate, and hand off your little works of art. You feel so relieved that you met your deadline and the client was very pleased with your work. Then you come home only to walk by the dreaded kitchen. Boooooo! Where's Harry Potter and his magic wand when you need him, lol icon_smile.gif

amaryllis756 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 6:14am
post #16 of 20

I understand the feeling. My kitchen looks like that right now, and I haven't even delivered them yet. LOL. I have to clean up before I can even start. Well, did filling last night. Frost today. My daughters boss is so wonderful, she even offered her 1/2 day off today to help me. Isn't she great! Going to be busy today, but it will feel good to be done. I can't even sleep at night cause this wedding has consumed me. LOL. Hey I would even settle for Samantha on "Betwitched" icon_biggrin.gif

texastj Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 6:53pm
post #17 of 20

Hey again icon_smile.gif. Today I had some set backs. My cupcakes were so moist sitting in the containers that the wrappers came off icon_sad.gif. I had to rebake some so of course I tried the left over frozen cupcake batter. This time I used my melon scooper. Worked like a charm. Yay!!!! So that saved me time and ingredients. I have all frosted but still have one more batch to rebake. So I'm still doing good on time. At least I can keep the kitchen halfway decent and won't have a huge mess waiting on me tomorrow. Hope all is going well for you. Thank goodness you have your daughter there to help you.....

amaryllis756 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 9:56am
post #18 of 20

I am sorry to hear you had your set-back. I have never had that problem with papers coming off (knock on wood), that must really be frustrating. Well, I did when I first started, but not in the past year.
I can't complain how everything we yesterday. Ran rather smoothly. No big problems. Had to run to the store to get more color for frosting, and a few decorations (ran out), but that was a little break. My hand started hurting from all the piping, other than that, no big catastrophe. Needed the air conditioning on. By the end of the night, I was freezing, but the cupcakes were doing good LOL. I use SMBC, so it needed to stay cold. Now the next step is transporting them. That is scary to me. I hope I don't trip and fall with 24 cupcakes in my arms. LOL. Will post pics soon.

amaryllis756 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 12:09pm
post #19 of 20

Texastj
Aren't you glad you had the frozen batter. I haven't tried it yet, but that is my next experiment. I am just low of freezer space. May I can rent on of the shelves in my mother-in-laws freezer LOL. It must really save time.
BTW I private messaged you. I don't how to look it up, but I hope you can figure it out. TTL

texastj Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 12:38pm
post #20 of 20

Amaryllis, I responded back via private msg. Hope you get it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%