What Did I Do Wrong.. Wilton Colors

Decorating By angelleyes Updated 5 Aug 2011 , 4:41am by angelleyes

angelleyes Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:20am
post #1 of 3

Ok so I have read that if u mix the gel colors with clear vanilla extract or vodka you can color fondant... I mixed them and went to paint a bow..The first coat was bad u could see the lines of the brush.. So I waited about 20 min and did a second coat..(still kinda tacky feeling) which it turned out a real deep purple... I set is aside to let dry.. Fast forwart to 24 hrs later it still wasnt dry.. What did I do wrong? To much extract or use the wrong color?

2 replies
YummyCreations Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:36am
post #2 of 3

When I need to paint fondant I let the fondant dry first, if possible, for 24 hrs. (don't refrigerate or you'll have condensation). I've noticed if I use too much gel and not enough vodka or vanilla the paint won't dry. I would try diluting the gel more and letting it dry then do another coat if needed. And make sure you are using soft bristle brushes to avoid brush stroke lines. I also have a mini fan I use to help dry things faster. With practice you will get the feel for painting fondant and it'll get easier icon_smile.gif

angelleyes Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:41am
post #3 of 3

I hope so... I had to make 3 different bows lol.. I was getting sooo frustrated... But just walked away for a min and tried again

Quote by @%username% on %date%