First 3D Carved Cake. Help!!!

Decorating By k1mber1ndarella Updated 5 Aug 2011 , 4:23am by suzied

k1mber1ndarella Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 3:55am
post #1 of 3

I am getting ready to do my first carved cake (a tire on top of a square cake john deere theme) for my nephews 1st birthday. was just wondering in your opinion what cake is best for sculpting? I have a chocolate cake from scratch, just not sure if it can be used for something like this. searched gallery for cake ideas and came across a cake I'd like to replicate. to give you an idea of what i'm going to be attempting here's the link:

have emailed the person on cakecentral that made it for some pointers, but have yet to hear back from them. just wondering if I could get any pointers from anyone with helpful advice before I start. thanks!

2 replies
mplaidgirl2 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:14am
post #2 of 3

Seems like a good starting carved cake.. IT really just looks like they shaved the sides or the cake slightly and added the tread to the side after. For carving I try to use a slightly dense cake... But since there isn't a ton of carving here you can probably use any standard recipe

suzied Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:23am
post #3 of 3

Those pieces on the tyre, looks as if they have been made out of fondant. i dont think it has been carved. enlarge the pic and see. aah, just read the previous post. you just want to carve the top and bottom to get the shape of the tyre.

Quote by @%username% on %date%