Cake Pricing Help

Decorating By mommyjones Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 8:46pm by lovestocook

mommyjones Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 12:22am
post #1 of 5

I am making a wedding cake for my first customer and I am having difficult time trying to price it out. They have a budget of $700. They have the cake they want done, marble cake covered in fondant feeding 100-150 people. With charging by the slice do I charge for the 150 or the 100 people. This is the link for the cake they want.

http://www.perfect-wedding-day.com/beach-wedding-cakes.html

The cake is the 12th picture done by Dan Zuber.

4 replies
vgray Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 12:44am
post #2 of 5

The bride needs to decide if she wants to pay to feed 100 people or 150 people. She also needs to decide if she wants to keep the top tier for the first anniversary.

If she wants to feed 100 and keep the top tier the cake sizes should be 14, 10, 6. The 14 and 10 will feed 114 and she can keep the 6 for the first anniversary. You would charge for 128 serving since that is how many servings the cake as a whole will serve.

If she wants to feed 150 and keep the top tier the cake sizes should be 16, 12, 8. The 16 and 10 will feed 156 and she can keep the 8 for the first anniversary. You would charge for 180 servings since that is how many servings the cake as a whole will serve.

If she wants to feed 100 and does not want the top tier the cake sizes should be 12, 10, 8. This will serve 118 and that is how you should price it.

If she wants to feed 150 and does not want the top tier the cake sizes should be 16, 10, 6. This will serve 150 and this is how you should price it.

HTH

editted to add: These serving sizes are based on the Wilton Wedding Chart.
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

tokazodo Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 1:17am
post #3 of 5

Other things you may want to consider in your pricing:

1. Are you going to charge extra for a fondant finish?
2. Are you going to charge extra for the white chocolate seashells?
3. Are you going to charge a delivery fee?
4. Are you going to charge for a 'save the date', or deposit on the cake?
I have learned that deliveries can take a lot of time out of your day, when you could be doing something else, not to mention, the price of gasoline these days. If I chose to do a free delivery, I try to clump it together with another task like running to the store for an ingredient, or something I would have had to do anyway in that area. (always after the cake is delivered)

Try to make sure you have a time table. Make sure you will have someone to meet you at the location where you will delivering the cake and make sure the cake table will be set up and waiting for you.
HTH

TexasSugar Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 5

I would give them options. Rarely does a cake serve the exact number they ask for anyway. So I would give them information for different sizes and the prices for them.

Personally if there is minimal decorations, I wouldn't charge extra for the chocolate shells, unless there was just a large number of them. Because those to me become the decorations, and I already factor that into my price.

I would send the information such as:

Round cakes 6/8/10/12 will serve 131, at $4 a serving for a total of $524.
Round cakes 6/9/12 will serve 100, at $4 a serving for a total of $400.
Round cakes 6/10/14 will serve 128, at $4 a serving for a total of $512.
(the above numbers include the 6in in the serving amounts)

I'd also follow the above with any addition pricing for delivery and such.

This gives them options and a choice.

lovestocook Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 5

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much for sharing! I'm delivering a 3 tiered wedding cake, grooms cake and cupcakes in a couple of weeks and needed this info.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%