Should I Freeze My Cake Layers?

Decorating By donan1212 Updated 8 Aug 2011 , 3:09pm by Marianna46

donan1212 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone!

I am making a 3 layer neopolitan cake for my daughter's Baptism on Saturday. I am making it from Duncan Hines mixes - stawberry, milk chocolate, and classic yellow. I also bought chocolate and vanilla pudding mix to try to amp up the moisture in 2 of the layers.

I have read about some people freezing cakes for added moisture, which I wanted to try, but wasn't sure if I would have enough time. If I baked them tonight, would it be worth it if I am only able to freeze them for about 10 hours give or take?

Also, what is the best method for freezing? Do I throw them right in the freezer after like 10 minutes of cooling or wait longer? Do I let them cool in the saran wrap or do I unwrap and frost right away???

Thanks for any help!

1 reply
Marianna46 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 2

I'm a big fan of freezing. 10 hours would be enough. I usually freeze them overnight, but this means I put them in about 11 or 12 and pull them out the next morning at 8 or 9 to thaw for decorating. I freeze mine as soon as I take them out of the pan. I put them in 2 layers of plastic wrap and then in a ziptop bag, if they'll fit or wrap them in a layer of foil if they're bigger. I put them in the freezer as soon as I wrap them. I let them come to room temperature before I work on them, but that's because the climate I live in is hot and humid and I want to avoid condensation on my fondant. When I make cakes in a cooler, drier place, I often crumbcoat my cakes or frost them with buttercream while they're still semi-frozen. It helps me get sharper corners and a smoother surface.

Quote by @%username% on %date%