Imbc ?'s

Baking By tullicious Updated 5 Aug 2011 , 11:15am by AnnieCahill

tullicious Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 3

I tried in the other forum but didn't get any replies, so I'll try here and hope for something. icon_smile.gif I have been wanting to try to make IMBC. (or SMBC, whatever the difference is). Do any of you have a go-to recipe for this? Do you use it very often? Does it smooth well for icing a cake, or used more for cupcakes or cake fillings? Any tips, recipes, and advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

2 replies
metria Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 3

I highly suggest you watch this very informative tutorial from Warren Brown of Cake Love:

I use this recipe most often, using Wilton powder meringue instead of fresh egg whites. Works for me every time!

AnnieCahill Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 11:15am
post #3 of 3

I use Warren Brown's recipe too, but I use nearly a tablespoon of good quality vanilla for flavoring. It will make the recipe off white but who cares because it is so good.

I have used it as a filling by itself and mixed it with all kinds of stuff (fruit curd and cream cheese for example) to fill cakes, and I have also used it to ice cakes. The fall leaf cake in my photos is IMBC.

It's very important to use a good UNSALTED butter and flavor the heck out of it or it will taste like straight up butter.

Follow his directions in the video and you should have no problems getting it to come out right. Make sure you add the butter when the meringue comes down to room temperature. If it looks curdled or clumpy, keep beating and it will smooth out. Or you can take a dish towel and soak it with hot water to apply it to the sides of the bowl. If it's too runny pop it in the fridge for a couple of minutes.

This icing does not crust but smooths very easily with a flat scraper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%