For Those That Use Mff Recipe...

Baking By Pagea Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 11:02pm by SpringFlour

Pagea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pagea Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 7

I have made the MFF recipe twice now. I follow the directions exactly as listed and the process itself..pretty simple IMO. BUT I have a fondant that just breaks apart..no elasticity when I'm kneading and preparing to roll. I would like to salvage this batch and figure out what I need to do differently, if possible. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif

TIA,
Page

6 replies
SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 7

Are you using the microwave version or the double boiler method? I don't know if that really makes a difference, but I always use the double boiler method. Can you list you recipe here? If it doesn't have elasticity, it sounds like your glycerin isn't doing its job.

debbiek37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbiek37 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 7

After I let mine rest over night or a day or so, I zap it in the microwave for a few seconds and it gets soft and pliable again. Be careful because it gets really, really hot!!! You may need more shortening too.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 7

Add more glycerin in very small amounts and knead it in. If that doesn't help, keep adding glycerin, little by little until you get the right consistency. I had the same problem with a batch that I made last week, and I just kept adding a little bit of glycerin until it was perfect.

Pagea Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringFlour

Are you using the microwave version or the double boiler method? I don't know if that really makes a difference, but I always use the double boiler method. Can you list you recipe here? If it doesn't have elasticity, it sounds like your glycerin isn't doing its job.

I use the double boiler method and the recipe I use from CC/MFF is:

1/2 cup milk
3 packs gelatin (6 tsp for reference in case you wanted to 1/2 the recipe)
1 cup corn syrup
3 Tbsp butter, unsalted
3 Tbsp glycerin
2 tsp vanilla (sometimes I use more)
dash salt
3-4 lb powdered sugar, sifted (at least once)
*note all tablespoons and teaspoons are level, not heaped (had a question about this from another CCer)

Pagea Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 7

debbiek37- After the fondant cools again, how does this effect the fondant once a cake has been covered? BTW...what does the shortening do?

cakegirl1973- is it possible to add too much glycerin? I mean is there a point where too much glycerin would be added and I just need to discard the batch?

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 7

Hmmm. I'm not sure what the problem is, then It's the exact recipe I use. I'm no help at all! TO salvage this batch, I'd probably add some shortening and a little bit more glycerin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%