For Those That Use Mff Recipe...

Baking By Pagea Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 11:02pm by SpringFlour

Pagea Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 7

I have made the MFF recipe twice now. I follow the directions exactly as listed and the process itself..pretty simple IMO. BUT I have a fondant that just breaks apart..no elasticity when I'm kneading and preparing to roll. I would like to salvage this batch and figure out what I need to do differently, if possible. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif

TIA,
Page

6 replies
SpringFlour Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 7

Are you using the microwave version or the double boiler method? I don't know if that really makes a difference, but I always use the double boiler method. Can you list you recipe here? If it doesn't have elasticity, it sounds like your glycerin isn't doing its job.

debbiek37 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 7

After I let mine rest over night or a day or so, I zap it in the microwave for a few seconds and it gets soft and pliable again. Be careful because it gets really, really hot!!! You may need more shortening too.

cakegirl1973 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 7

Add more glycerin in very small amounts and knead it in. If that doesn't help, keep adding glycerin, little by little until you get the right consistency. I had the same problem with a batch that I made last week, and I just kept adding a little bit of glycerin until it was perfect.

Pagea Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringFlour

Are you using the microwave version or the double boiler method? I don't know if that really makes a difference, but I always use the double boiler method. Can you list you recipe here? If it doesn't have elasticity, it sounds like your glycerin isn't doing its job.

I use the double boiler method and the recipe I use from CC/MFF is:

1/2 cup milk
3 packs gelatin (6 tsp for reference in case you wanted to 1/2 the recipe)
1 cup corn syrup
3 Tbsp butter, unsalted
3 Tbsp glycerin
2 tsp vanilla (sometimes I use more)
dash salt
3-4 lb powdered sugar, sifted (at least once)
*note all tablespoons and teaspoons are level, not heaped (had a question about this from another CCer)

Pagea Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 7

debbiek37- After the fondant cools again, how does this effect the fondant once a cake has been covered? BTW...what does the shortening do?

cakegirl1973- is it possible to add too much glycerin? I mean is there a point where too much glycerin would be added and I just need to discard the batch?

SpringFlour Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 7

Hmmm. I'm not sure what the problem is, then It's the exact recipe I use. I'm no help at all! TO salvage this batch, I'd probably add some shortening and a little bit more glycerin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%