I need some help regarding fondant ribbons, they are about to be the end of me!
1. How do you keep them super smooth when applied to buttercream? It seems like mine always get air bubbles between the ribbon and the buttercream or try to tear. Maybe I'm rolling them too thin? Or not thin enough?
2. What's the best way to remove any of the residual cornstarch or powdered sugar from the ribbon once it is applied to the cake? I've been using a damp paint brush...could that be causing the bubbles?
3. When you have to construct a tiered cake on site (i.e. add the last one or two tiers), do you apply the fondant ribbon beforehand? If not, how is the best way to transport the precut ribbons without them drying out?
Thank you all for your tips and advice!
Fondant ribbons are difficult for me too. I'm not a pro but I've learned some things from trial and error. First, your fondant can not be sticky. You may want to add just a little bit of Tylose to give it some body. Wait about 10 minutes and reknead it. Roll it as thin a you need and be generous with the cornstarch. I roll mine up like a bandage and then attach to the buttercream cake with a small amount of piping gel. I use a thick, soft brush to remove any extra cornstarch but you do have to be careful not to mar the buttercream. I make sure mine is well-crusted before adding the ribbons. Sometimes I have used a combination of fondant and modeling chocolate and that holds up well if your house or shop isn't too warm. Hope that helps some.
I only use fondant ribbons and I can't count the number I've done.
1. Wilton fondant really is the best product for ribbons It's pliable but strong.
2. I use a tiniest bit of veg shortening on the counter to roll on. If you dont' use cs or ps you don't have to get it off the final product.
3. Go to the fabric store and buy a yard or so of clear heavy duty vinyl. Cut in wide strips. lay the fondant ribbon on the vinyl strip and roll it up. Pop it into a plastic bag for transport.
leah-s, Thanks for the great tip. I never thought about rolling the fondant ribbon in vinyl to transport. I learn something new everyday on this site!