Help With Cannoli Cream Filling

Baking By WillowsCry Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 7:57pm by mrsg1111

WillowsCry Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 7

I posted this question yesterday but I can't find it anywhere so I'm resubmitting it. I made a cake for my son's birthday that had a canolli cream filling. It tasted great but the texture was a problem for me. icon_cool.gif It was really grainy. I tried the same recipe again, this time using powder sugar instead of granular and still had the same problem with graininess. thumbsdown.gif Any suggestions on how to remedy this issue?

6 replies
mrsg1111 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 7

I had the same issue. Did you use ricotta? I thought my graininess was from that.

TexasSugar Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 7

Your post got moved to the recipe section, though there isn't a reply yet.

Can you share what recipe you are using, and how you made it? That may help someone be able to answer you better.

q2wheels Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 7

As a full blooded Italian, I have always only used ricotta cheese and powdered sugar and my cannoli cream is never grainy.

With regular ricotta cheese you have to first drained it for at least 2 days (I put a coffee filter into a sieve and put it into a bowl with a top, then into the fridge). First step in making cannoli cream is to puree it thoroughly, food process, blender, hand blender or through a sieve.

I recently discovered Sargento whole milk ricotta "velvety smooth". That (and only that) is the only brand I will use now, it doesn't have to be pureed first.

Toni Ann

mrsg1111 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 7

Sargento is definitely the way to go! I buy everything Sargento over Polly-o. I've mixed the ricotta with a hand mixer after draining, but never in a processor or blender... i will try that next time.

Anthing thing i've done the last time that i made it was add marscapone cheese as well.

WillowsCry Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for all the wonderful replies! and special thanks to Texas sugar for playing detective and finding my first post on this! lol. I had a feeling it was the ricotta seeing as how changing the sugar didn't fix the problem. The recipe I was using mentioned nothing about pureeing the ricotta so thank you Toni Ann for that tip. I also didn't drain it long enough apparently, ( I was only draining over night) so I will do that differently as well. Mrsg1111, did you like the result with the marscapone cheese? Out of curiosity I might try a batch with that. Oh, my son just said to thank you all for all the tips since it looks like I will be making a lot of test cakes ... he of course will reap the rewards of those! LOL . Thanks for the help y'all

mrsg1111 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 7

Everyone loved it! I'm not sure what difference it made as I've been using marscapone from the first time i made cannoli filling. I had it in my 'fridge from Tiramisu so i added it...

Quote by @%username% on %date%