Don't Have Dowel But Can I Sub This With It?

Decorating By BabyGSR Updated 5 Aug 2011 , 6:13pm by kakeladi

BabyGSR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGSR Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 26

I don't have dowel for my cake but I did find some Hobby craft sticks wood, non toxic assorted colors in my house. Would it be okay to use those? I also have some lollipop sticks as well.

25 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGSR

I don't have dowel for my cake but I did find some Hobby craft sticks wood, non toxic assorted colors in my house. Would it be okay to use those?

No, not if those are flat.

Quote:

I also have some lollipop sticks as well.

Those are most likely make with rolled paper... I wouldn't use them either.

kimmi1963 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmi1963 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 26

The last two tier cakes I have made I used straws in the bottom tier to support the top tier and then used a chopstick for the dowel in the middle for support. It has worked for me so far and the chop stick has been just the right size, so no cutting involved. Hope that this info is useful.

BabyGSR Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 26

CWR41, No it's round, not the flat kind. I figured if it's non toxic I can use them right?

Kimmi that is a great ideal. Thanks.

sarahokie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahokie Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 26

I always use straws too. Much easier to cut than dowels. I keep a few extra straws from places like Sonic on hand. I think they're thicker than those you can buy in a package at the grocery store. (Plus it's a reason to keep feeding my Sonic drink addiction.)

CWR41 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 26
Quote:

CWR41, No it's round, not the flat kind. I figured if it's non toxic I can use them right?

I wouldn't use assorted colors... only natural unpainted/undyed wood.

CWR41 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 26

Most people who use straws aren't using regular drinking straws, they're using bubble tea straws.

kimmi1963 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmi1963 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 7:54pm
post #8 of 26

The straws that I have used are drinking straws from Braum's, an ice cream store here in OK. The are a bit bigger around and pretty sturdy. They give them for pop and shakes.

sarahokie Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Most people who use straws aren't using regular drinking straws, they're using bubble tea straws.

Certainly, this is the more ideal solution. However, they can be difficult to find in the store (at least here on OK). I've used thick drinking straws many times before without any problems.

sarahokie Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 7:57pm
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmi1963

The straws that I have used are drinking straws from Braum's, an ice cream store here in OK. The are a bit bigger around and pretty sturdy. They give them for pop and shakes.

I've used the Braum's straws too, without any problems. Great to see so many okies on here!

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 7:59pm
post #11 of 26

I'm not sure what a bubble tea straw is, but the only time i used straws (the only time i forgot to dowel) was at my daughter's party at a restaurant and i totally forgot to dowel the middle tier. I used straws from the restaurant. They were the wide ones.

BabyGSR Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 8:45pm
post #12 of 26

Thanks ladies for a great tips, and I'm glad to see alot of Okies here. I'm from Tulsa.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 10:41pm
post #13 of 26

I use plain old drinking straws.... nearing 700 wedding cakes now.

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 10:59pm
post #14 of 26

regular straws? I would have thought for sure those were too flimsy. I love bubble straws.

StEt0417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StEt0417 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 1:42am
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahokie

I always use straws too. Much easier to cut than dowels. I keep a few extra straws from places like Sonic on hand. I think they're thicker than those you can buy in a package at the grocery store. (Plus it's a reason to keep feeding my Sonic drink addiction.)

Oh I didnt know you could use straws! It holds the cake the same as a wooden dowel?

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 2:08am
post #16 of 26

Wouldn't there be a difference between "non-toxic" and "food safe"? I would think if the craft sticks weren't make for food related products, then you shouldn't use them with food products.

KoryAK Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 2:56am
post #17 of 26

Yep, plain old straws. Take a 4" or so (dowel length) piece of straw, hold it between your first finger and thumb and just TRY to break it icon_smile.gif

funpets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funpets Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:04am
post #18 of 26

Wow,drinking straws,so interesting.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:25am
post #19 of 26

I use straws all the time, so much easier to cut. All the tiered cakes in my pics are doweled with straws. I use plain solid black straws. I would love to be able to find bubble tea straws but have been unable. You would think my cake store would think to stock them, but I guess they make more money selling wooden dowels.

Leikeilana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leikeilana Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:49am
post #20 of 26

from where I am we dont have dowels as well, we have to order from Australia or America. Next time we get an order for a tiered cake we will try the straws... fingers crossed hope that it works....Our straws here could be different to the ones you have in the states and Canada

KoryAK Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:54am
post #21 of 26

Mine are about 1/4" thick

MrsBowtiy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsBowtiy Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 5:08am
post #22 of 26

I use straws the kind I have seem to be a bit thicker than the kind you would get for like a fountain pop at the store, the other thing I have used (only done this once) was kabob sticks like you make shish kabobs on.

Leikeilana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leikeilana Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 5:12am
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Mine are about 1/4" thick

thanks for this..definetly check this out next.

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 5:14am
post #24 of 26

I buy my bubble tea straws on eBay. Amazon has them too.

StEt0417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StEt0417 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 5:52pm
post #25 of 26

Does it matter the type of straw? Like straws from fast food joints?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 6:13pm
post #26 of 26

......regular straws? I would have thought for sure those were too flimsy..........
......straws! It holds the cake the same as a wooden dowel?...........

YES!! Plain old soda drink straws do a wonderful job of supporting cake. BurgerKing; McD; and as has already be mentioned many other places have great straws. [I'm not fond of TacoBells - too thinicon_sad.gif ]
Tons of wedding cakes have been supported with them. Just be sure you don't get those 'bendable' ones from the grocery store.
When I go to BK I take a fat handful and ask how much 'can I buy some?" usually they will say oh just take them. OR when I go to other resturants they always give a straw when you order a drink. I don't usually use one but will take it home to have on hand. Eventually you build up a nice amounticon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%