How Do You All Stay Thin?

Lounge By BurnsyJ Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 12:01pm by Jennifer353

BurnsyJ Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 44

I decorated my first cake in January ... it sucked but I learned from it. Since then I seem to have been baking and decorating non-stop. It's my new passion. Every occasion seems to be a cake/cupcake occasion. My two boys are pretty happy about it too.

With all this baking and decorating has come some extra poundage. I can't bake without tasting. icon_sad.gif My love of sweets and lack of will power has not been good.

I'm a high school math teacher. In a couple of weeks I will be heading back to school. None of my school clothes are going to fit ... and I really don't want to go shopping for a bigger size. So this week I have been hitting the gym every morning and going for walks with my DH every evening. I've lost 4 lbs so far, but have about 10 to go.

Tomorrow I start baking for my son's birthday party on Sunday. I have a feeling all of my hard work in the gym this week is going to be shattered.

How do you all bake and stay thin?

43 replies
tiptop57 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 44

Who says we all stayed thin? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Jess155 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 44

I run 3.2 miles everyday. A 5k a day keeps the cupcakes away! Also that makes me NOT want to eat too much cake because I'll regret it the next day running icon_smile.gif

MimiFix Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 44

Taste, sample, but don't eat entire pieces. I learned this after gaining 20 pounds while developing my dee-licious peanut butter cookies.

dchinda Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 44

I am right there with you. I have such a sweet tooth so everytime I level my cakes, I have to eat some the the shavings. I don't know why of all the hobbies in the world, I had to start baking & decorating cakes. It sure doesn't help me with my goal to lose weight. icon_smile.gif

dchinda Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 44

I am right there with you. I have such a sweet tooth so everytime I level my cakes, I have to eat some the the shavings. I don't know why of all the hobbies in the world, I had to start baking & decorating cakes. It sure doesn't help me with my goal to lose weight. icon_smile.gif

dchinda Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 44

robinmarie Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 4:48pm
post #8 of 44

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has gained weight with this hobby. I call it a work hazard icon_biggrin.gif

robinmarie Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 44

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has gained weight with this hobby. I call it a work hazard icon_biggrin.gif

robinmarie Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 44

robinmarie Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 4:52pm
post #11 of 44

pummy Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:07pm
post #12 of 44

I had to stop baking and get reaquainted with my treadmill. Now when I do bake, I have some, but give the rest away to friends and family.

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:11pm
post #13 of 44

I throw the spatulas in a hot sink before I try to lick them..It is easy though...I don't like the icing I make or rather it doesn't agree with me.Too much shortening and my stomach can't seem to digest it since having my Gall Bladder out...and if I do happen to get a small mouthfull..I spit it out...

MaTwosey Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:13pm
post #14 of 44

It helps to have a family of poachers. Cake shavings have to be saved for DH and the kids since they have to sit there and watch me create this pretty cake and it sometimes is for a party they aren't invited to.

Try to remember to keep it clean as well. I used to have a problem with licking my fingers, which required constant hand washing. This took up alot more time. Now, I keep a towel on my shoulder and wipe my hands and tools on it instead of always returning to the sink. It works faster and keeps the frosting off my thighs. lol

singhscakes Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:21pm
post #15 of 44

I want to start chewing a piece of gum when I bake so that I won't sample anything or lick the spoons.

idontknow Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:22pm
post #16 of 44

i was going to post the same question!! it's so difficult, especially when you have sweet tooth anyway! The only way I'm going to keep the pounds down is to exercise so will be joining a gym shortly.

traci_doodle Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:24pm
post #17 of 44

I've heard some people chew gum while they make cakes to keep from snacking. I don't like gum, but I've found that if I brush my teeth before I start decorating a cake, I am far less likely to taste the cake. Of course, this is only for cakes I am familiar with. I can't stand to not test a new recipe! As for the finished product, I only bake when I know I can give at least most of it away. And if I don't give it away, it goes in the trash. Well, most of the time. icon_smile.gif

EdieP Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:34pm
post #18 of 44

I throw the spatulas in a hot sink before I try to lick them..It is easy though...I don't like the icing I make or rather it doesn't agree with me.Too much shortening and my stomach can't seem to digest it since having my Gall Bladder out...and if I do happen to get a small mouthfull..I spit it out...

I can't eat the icing I make either because of the gall-bladder issue. And yet I have gained abt 15 lbs since starting baking 1 1/2 yrs ago. It is because I do not have any time to go to the gym, I am always baking or working at my other job

Caths_Cakes Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:41pm
post #19 of 44

I stay Slim with photo shop haha XD

Alas , i jest , I keep a dish of hot soapy water near by (my bench is well out of reach of my sink ) and i chuck mostly everything in there, and if i have left overs, i either bin it or give it away so its out of my temptation icon_smile.gif

cathyscakes Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:44pm
post #20 of 44

I'm not thin, but will have to say that I am not really tempted by cake, not my favorite dessert. So I guess i'm lucky in that respect. In fact when I am doing a cake, I get so stressed and busy that I forget to eat, too busy to stop. I have plenty of weaknesses, cookies, pie, cake just isn't one of them.

Reimagining_Confections Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:56pm
post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by singhscakes

I want to start chewing a piece of gum when I bake so that I won't sample anything or lick the spoons.

Excellent idea!!!! I do the throw everything in water with soap real quick trick.

Dizzymaiden Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:58pm
post #22 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I do the same as Kiddiekakes - I have a sink of hot-soapy (because if it was just water I might still be tempted...I know gross) and I toss beater, bowls and spoons as soon as I am done.

I also drink tea with lemon or peppermint - not sure why but this takes away my sweet tooth.

p.s. I am not thin but "medium". I am working on thin icon_wink.gif

heysugar504 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:59pm
post #23 of 44

I let my husband taste everything for me and tell me if he thinks it needs anything. And I do P90X. That seems to do the trick. icon_biggrin.gif

huskerfan Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:00pm
post #24 of 44

running and weights- oh and make my husband the guinea pig........

DianeLM Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:07pm
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by singhscakes

That's exactly what I do.

I don't have a problem with cake and icing since I've never been a big fan, but when my kids were in school and I was hospitality chair, I'd have parents donate cookies for events. I'd take all the cookies home and assemble them on catering trays to bring to the event. Wellll... we can't put BROKEN cookies in a nice display now can we???? That's when I discovered I needed to chew gum whenever I did that project. icon_smile.gif

MollyHammond Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:09pm
post #26 of 44

I work part time as a water aerobic instructor. I teach bootcamp! icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:12pm
post #27 of 44

Chew gum, wear gloves, dump everything into the sink as soon as you can, and spit out anything that goes into your mouth. icon_smile.gif

tripleD Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:18pm
post #28 of 44

Stay Thin!! ROFLMAO!!!!

Well I have a hump addiction. Love those cake humps!!!

The best way I have found not to nibble. I have dentures.. Take my teeth out. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

rpaige Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:25pm
post #29 of 44

Last night at dinner, my two young (and apparently ill-mannered) boys suggested that I needed to start walking...after all, I only sit all day at work or bake cakes and it was starting to show. My husband nearly spilled his ice tea trying to start a new conversation quickly. I have put on at least fifteen pounds since Christmas. The only positive, I get more wear out of my pants: I can wear my pants backwards or forwards - they fit the fanny and belly exactly the same.

Gaining knowledge has been costly in many areas....

gatorcake Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:37pm
post #30 of 44

Was a matter of asking myself what was more important. I started baking/decoarating as an artistic outlet. At the same time I decided I wanted to get into better shape (was 30 ish overweight). Managed to lose 20 pounds and take up decorating (that last 10 is a pain). Was not that hard, I just asked myself what I wanted. I wanted to drop some pant sizes and decorate. I did not see them as mutually exclusive. So how to make them work?

Its more of a lifestyle thing than will power thing. I just don't sample (I may taste to make sure icings are right but its not like a lot of calories are in a dab of icing). Scraps go in the freezer for cake balls or in the trash. I look at the cake as an opportunity to do something fun and not as something I plan to consume (so I generally bake for others).

I do enjoy desserts--cake ranks right up there as one of my favorites. I do not see desserts as the enemy (I have small portions--no low fat, sugar subs in stuff I bake). I just figure out how to fit them into the lifestyle I want to lead and if it does not fit (eating scraps) I just avoid it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%