Would You Be Offended

Decorating By pettycakes Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 5:50pm by pettycakes

pettycakes Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 11

Hello everyone

I just wanted to say that there are soooo many talented decorators on here and I have a ton of cakes saved in my favorite photos. I don't get to practice as much as I'd like to but hopefully that will change soon. I live in Orlando, Florida, which is of course a major tourist area. Not saying it's a bad thing, I do work for "the theme parks at a major hotel in the bakery". It does seem more difficult to find locals though.

My question is, I am creating a website (no selling from it involved) and I will be posting some of the cakes that I have already done. I want to try and make some of the cakes from my favorite photos that you guys have done. I would not do them exactly like yours, I would change colors and maybe a few other things to make it my own, but I don't want some to stumble onto my site and say that I posted pics of your cakes. Would anyone have a problem with me posting pictures of their design of a cake that I did myself? I would be glad to contact each person who has the design that I want to do.

Thanks

10 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 11

Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery.....I don't mind but others may.

bakerliz Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 11

I wouldn't imagine it would be an issue as long as the work is yours.

QueDeeCakes Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 11

I think Tyra Banks says it best..."If you are going to take from or imitate something you like, then do it but make it your own". Good luck with your endeavor.

southerncross Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 11

I have no problem with your posting your work based on my design but I can't imagine that any of my work would be copy worthy. Good luck

TexasSugar Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 11

You'll get a few different opinions, as there are some that think you should ask permission first.

Personally I believe that pictures people post for the world to see are there as inspiration. If you copy a cake design exactly, it is nice to give credit to the person, even if you don't know their name. If a cake is inspired by another cake, it is nice to give credit.

That being said, if you make a cake yourself, and you take pictures of it yourself, that is your cake and your pictures to post where ever you want to post.

Crazboutcakes Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 11

I totally agree with texas sugar, as long as you've baked it, decorated it and taken pictures of it... it is your piece. If it was an inspiration than say it, it's always nice! There are only so many designs and techniques we all get inspired by things we see and experience.

Bluehue Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 11

Polite that you thought to ask icon_smile.gif - but honestly - if it comes from your Oven - you stand in the early hours of the morning slaving over it - fiddle around getting the best photos of it - then off you go petal - have fun creating *your* take on different cakes....

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

jewels710 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 3:43pm
post #9 of 11

I think that a lot of cakes are in some form or another inspired from other cakes.
There are so many combinations of different cakes that its not always easy to say that it was inspired by say only one person, unless it is, of course, an exact duplicate in which case it is always nice to indicate that it was "inspired by..."

With that said, I believe that pretty much everyone on this site, or even the internet as a whole, understands that unless something has a copyright then it leaves itself open to duplication, interpretation or in the least inspiration!

mrsg1111 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 3:54pm
post #10 of 11

I agree.. i come to this site mainly for the inspiration of other cakes... as you know when you make your cake you start doing what works with the cake. Any cake that i have designed never came out exactly as planned... sometimes you'll get a tear that you ahve to cover, something doesn't work as planned or something comes out better as planned... so you'll end up making it your own. I couldn't imagine anyone would have a problem... if they did they wouldn't post pics here.... but of course that just my opinion.

pettycakes Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:50pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks everyone I will let you know when I get the website up and running so you can take a look if you want and give me your feed back.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%