New Holiday Recipes

Decorating By tokazodo Updated 17 Aug 2011 , 5:58pm by ReneeFLL

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 10:13am
post #1 of 6

Hey fellow cakers!

Yesterday I ran to the grocery store and on my way through the checkout I noticed the 'Paula Deen Holiday Baking' with 197 recipes!
I was very surprised to see the holiday cover already (Christmas in July/August?)

But I got real excited when I flipped through the magazine and found recipes like Pumpkin Cake with Cranberry Mouse Filling, Coconut cake with Mango Filling, Champagne Kissed Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting, Basil Lime Coconut Cupcakes and Carrot Thyme cupcakes with Lemon Thyme frosting.

There was also a picture of a S'more cupcake in the magazine. It had piped marshmallow frosting with a star tip and then torched the frosting until it was golden brown. (this sent me over the edge and made me buy the magazine, I'm a sucker for chocolate and marshmallow, Wow Baby! I think I need a moment to myself!)

There are recipes for savory baking towards the back of the magazine.

I have no dealings with Paula Deen nor any of her companies. (Although I'd love to travel to Savannah, Georgia one day and eat at her restaurant)
But I was just throwing this out there as 'Food', for thought.

I hope you have a great day,
tokazodo

5 replies
enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 12:04pm
post #2 of 6

I saw it too, but it was $8.99 and I thought that was a little too much for a mag.... however if you try any of those recipes, will you come back and let us know if it's worth spending a new "cake tool" on a magazine....LOL.....

jessicakes63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicakes63 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 12:18pm
post #3 of 6

I love Paula Deen..and have eaten at her restaurant (be prepared for a loonnnggg wait) it was good. Acutally Paula is the reason I started decorating cakes..kinda. I've always been interested but thought fondant was something reserved for the pros. I saw a lady on her show do a fondant covered cake for Easter and thought "I can do that!" So I did, and haven't stopped yet!

TaylorLeigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TaylorLeigh Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 6

I purchased Paula Deen's Holiday magazine as soon as I saw it on August 3rd. We are having a party at our home in September for friends of ours who just got married in June. I've been baking from the magazine 3 to 4 times a week since I purchased it. I want to give the recipes a go so I know whether they are good enough to serve to our guest. I then bring it all to work otherwise I'd be 200lbs. Everything I've baked has received rave reviews. The magazine is a definite keeper so if anyone is thinking of purchasing it don't hesitate. These are what I have tried so far. Basil lime coconut cupcakes, Red velvet cupcakes with vanilla bean cream cheese frosting, Spice Cake with caramelized pears and maple frosting, Hazelnut cinnamon elephant ears, PB&J thumprints (had to get those cookies out of the house as I am a cookie monster), Chocolate dipped minty wafers, Peanut butter cream cheese swirl brownies, and lastly the Tiramisu Cake. They are all winners!! thumbs_up.gif

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorLeigh

I purchased Paula Deen's Holiday magazine as soon as I saw it on August 3rd. We are having a party at our home in September for friends of ours who just got married in June. I've been baking from the magazine 3 to 4 times a week since I purchased it. I want to give the recipes a go so I know whether they are good enough to serve to our guest. I then bring it all to work otherwise I'd be 200lbs. Everything I've baked has received rave reviews. The magazine is a definite keeper so if anyone is thinking of purchasing it don't hesitate. These are what I have tried so far. Basil lime coconut cupcakes, Red velvet cupcakes with vanilla bean cream cheese frosting, Spice Cake with caramelized pears and maple frosting, Hazelnut cinnamon elephant ears, PB&J thumprints (had to get those cookies out of the house as I am a cookie monster), Chocolate dipped minty wafers, Peanut butter cream cheese swirl brownies, and lastly the Tiramisu Cake. They are all winners!! thumbs_up.gif

Okay, where do you work? icon_twisted.gif

and when's the next taste testing?

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the tip. I will have to look for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%