Cake Question Freezing And Leveling!

Decorating By Molly2 Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 12:27pm by Molly2

Molly2 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 2:51am
post #1 of 5

I have a large wedding cake due soon I want to bake and freeze ahead of time my question is when I bake these cake do I level before freezing or after freezing right before I crumb coat, and do I thaw my cakes then crumb coat or do I crumb coat while still frozen? Thank you in advance for ant help.
icon_smile.gif
Molly

4 replies
tonimarie Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 3:14am
post #2 of 5

This what I do: level cakes as soon as they come out of the oven...warm cake cuts easier....cool....cover with syran wrap and freeze....I crumb coat then right out of the freezer and then allow them to come to room temperature....then I stick them in the fridge to firm up for the fondant or final buttercream layer HTH

sebrina Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 3:34am
post #3 of 5

I bake, cool, level, then fill & stack, wrap tight & freeze. I thaw white still wrapped & then ice. I don't crumb coat since I use a bag to ice. But that's just me, everyone has their own way. icon_smile.gif

UpAt2am Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 3:57am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonimarie

This what I do: level cakes as soon as they come out of the oven...warm cake cuts easier....cool....cover with syran wrap and freeze....I crumb coat then right out of the freezer and then allow them to come to room temperature....then I stick them in the fridge to firm up for the fondant or final buttercream layer HTH

exactly the same here! i find that it would be very difficult to fill/crumbcoat if the cake wasn't frozen. for me a lot of my layers are so big that it's soooo much easier when they are frozen to flip/carve/etc.!

Molly2 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 12:27pm
post #5 of 5

Thank You so much I live in Texas and the heat here is awful I want to get started on this project I need to bake at night but I can only back so many cakes, the information you guys shared with me really helps me as to what to do Thank You Again!! thumbs_up.gif

Molly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%