Add Fresh Blueberries To Cream Cheese Icing?

Baking By cherrycakes Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 3:52pm by Nymphony

cherrycakes Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 2:43am
post #1 of 7

I'm making a red velvet cake and adding fresh raspberries and blueberries (with cream cheese icing) for the filling. I'm thinking about adding fresh blueberries to the cream cheese icing to make it a subtle blue colour and am wondering if anyone has tried this? Will the blueberries significantly alter the consistency of the icing?

6 replies
scp1127 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 9:36am
post #2 of 7

Are you trying to pipe with it? It will affect the consistency some. I use a gourmet blueberry jam and this works if I add a litte. Can you use the jam and decorate with the berries?

cherrycakes Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for your reply! I'm actually just making the infamous "rose cake" -1M swirls so I'll just do a test to see what happens with the consistency. I'm thinking that it may be pretty with flecks of blueberries in the swirls.

scp1127 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 7

You can always refrigerate the frosting to get the right consistency. And you can drain and dry off the blueberries.

Nymphony Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 7

I actually tried to do the exact same thing this morning. I wanted to do the rose cake with the 1M tip and use blueberries in the cream cheese frosting to go with the lemon cake. I used frozen blueberries and pulverized them in the food processor and then heated them briefly over the stove to get rid of the large chunks of frozen berry so I could pipe it. I added it to the icing after about 5 cups of powdered sugar and it turned to soup. I added another box (4 cups) to the icing and it thickened a bit, but was so runny I could barely keep it from entirely dripping off the cake icon_sad.gif I didn't want to add anymore powder sugar because it already lost the blueberry flavor and just tasted like sugar. Next time I will go with blueberry cake and lemon icing, pouring my blueberry soup frosting down the drain now icon_cry.gif So don't do what I did! icon_razz.gif

I must also mention that I am in Germany and we don't have A/C in the house. And of course today is the warmest it has been all summer!

cherrycakes Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymphony

I actually tried to do the exact same thing this morning. I wanted to do the rose cake with the 1M tip and use blueberries in the cream cheese frosting to go with the lemon cake. I used frozen blueberries and pulverized them in the food processor and then heated them briefly over the stove to get rid of the large chunks of frozen berry so I could pipe it. I added it to the icing after about 5 cups of powdered sugar and it turned to soup. I added another box (4 cups) to the icing and it thickened a bit, but was so runny I could barely keep it from entirely dripping off the cake icon_sad.gif I didn't want to add anymore powder sugar because it already lost the blueberry flavor and just tasted like sugar. Next time I will go with blueberry cake and lemon icing, pouring my blueberry soup frosting down the drain now icon_cry.gif So don't do what I did! icon_razz.gif

I must also mention that I am in Germany and we don't have A/C in the house. And of course today is the warmest it has been all summer!

Thanks for sharing your experience! I think I may re-think my plan!! In theory it sounds wonderful, doesn't it??

Nymphony Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 7

icon_eek.gif Here is a picture of what my icing came out to look like: Image

The lighter color was a bit of the icing mixed with whip cream so I could pipe on a decoration of some sort. I did find this blog while looking for similar ideas. Her blueberry cream cheese frosting looks amazing, but she used "freeze dried blueberries"... which I now know are different than frozen blueberries, which seem to have a lot more liquid content. If you can find freeze dried, your plan would probably work! Best of luck to you! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%